Finally doing trip to Xcalak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DH & I went to Mahahual for 4 nights a few years ago - bus, no car. We stayed just outside the town proper on the main (only?) road. Managed to hitch rides into town when necessary... people, some in golf carts, gave us rides. If you have a car be nice and pick up walkers. I remember a lot of sea grass off the beach. The stars at night are incredible.

I'm interested in renting a condo or house on the ocean that is close to Mahahual. I've found several homes for rent, but they are all 10+ miles out of town. I'm looking for something closer, couple miles or less, even walking distance would be ideal.

If anyone has a suggestion, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

PH

Have you looked at Airbnb? Seems like a lot of choices there

I'm interested in renting a condo or house on the ocean that is close to Mahahual. I've found several homes for rent, but they are all 10+ miles out of town. I'm looking for something closer, couple miles or less, even walking distance would be ideal.

If anyone has a suggestion, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

PH

Why Mahahual? We are staying and diving in Xcalak. I want to be as far from the cruise ships and cruise ship crowd as I can! I can't help you there there are several nice ones around Xcalak, check VRBO VRBO is Vacation Rentals By Owner

More eating choices in Mahuahal. We had a funny experience at the coffee joint in the Pueblo. It was late afternoon and the buses were ferrying the cruisers back to the boat. They stared at us and took pictures like we were animals in a zoo! The 2 weeks we were there only 2 ships were in town, the winds whipped up really good. Not only did the boats not come in we couldn't do much on the water.... Don't visit the RM/CM late June, the 3 times we did the wind...oh the wind!

Our rental in Mauahual was quite the treck down the beach "road", 15-25mph MAX.

More eating choices in Mahuahal. We had a funny experience at the coffee joint in the Pueblo. It was late afternoon and the buses were ferrying the cruisers back to the boat. They stared at us and took pictures like we were animals in a zoo! The 2 weeks we were there only 2 ships were in town, the winds whipped up really good. Not only did the boats not come in we couldn't do much on the water.... Don't visit the RM/CM late June, the 3 times we did the wind...oh the wind!

Our rental in Mauahual was quite the treck down the beach "road", 15-25mph MAX.

RM/CM? So you go there just for the food? Doesn't sound like our type of place, but thanks for the info.

Riveria Maya, Costa Maya

We went down for a beach vacation. Our son was 9 and we just snorkeled then. We had a gringo diver "supervise" us (aka get a free trip to Chinchorro) when we visited. When my son saw him diving he was HOOKED.

To snorkel meant going a few hundred feet out so we ended up eating and driving around. Plus TS Alex hit and his winds never died down.

Does anyone have a recommendation from a recent experience for a dive op in Mahahual? Looking to do both local dives and a trip out to Chinchorro Banks.

Thanks.

PH

Does anyone have a recommendation from a recent experience for a dive op in Mahahual? Looking to do both local dives and a trip out to Chinchorro Banks.

Thanks.

PH

To the best of my knowledge, XTC Dive Center (XTC DIVE CENTER | Scuba diving, Snorkelling, Fishing and Excursions in Xcalak, Costa Maya Mexico) in Xcalak is the only shop with permission and credentials from the Mexican government to go to Banco Chinchorro. I hear that some shops in Mahahual go there outlaw, but I'd rather not get arrested with them.

I went to Xcalak by boat from San Pedro, Belize years ago. it's only about two hours...or less. That would be more fun, and easier than driving down from Cancun. I would guess you can still find a boat in San Pedro to take you there. Just go through customs in SP. We landed at a dock in Xcalak, ate lunch, drank a few beers and headed back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom