Finally going to Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did 3 dives with Ed Robinsons on Tuesday and had a great time! 8 divers on the boat (4 per DM), and plenty of bottom time.

I had 7 dives with Ed Robinson's in August and it was awesome.
I highly recommend them, but do not have experience with others that are also highly regarded.
Lots of first rate diving, early in the morning. Got real rough around 1pm and I am told this is normal.

Yes, the trade winds pick up around noon, making for a lot of surface chop and lousy dive conditions.

Yes, the trade winds pick up around noon, making for a lot of surface chop and lousy dive conditions.

Not always... Yes, it's a rough ride back on most afternoons but I do a LOT of afternoon, early twilight dives and have excellent conditions a lot of the time. You just have to know where to go and how to read the water conditions. That's one of the nice aspects of shore diving. If you don't like the looks of one site, drive a little and check out some others.

Chiming in with my $.02 worth on the differences between West Maui (Lahaina/Kaanapali/...) vs South Maui (Kehei/Wailea/Makena). I prefer south Maui because it's more reliably clear and sunny. Well in January-March, anyway. The last time I stayed in Kanapali the wind never dropped below 20 knots, it was cold and mostly cloudy. Yuck, not my idea of a winter vacation from the Seattle rain. Saw lots of whales from the hotel, though! On the other hand, the last 4 times I've stayed in south Maui, it's been warm, sunny and fairly calm. We did have a friggin monsoon one afternoon last week but the entire island got drenched. Lahaina feels a lot more touristy than Kihei. I've been going to Hawaii since the 70s (got a NAUI cert on Oahu decades ago) and seem to always go back to the Kihei/Wailea/Makena area.

Lots of really nice restaurants in the Kihei area, too. On the latest trip (last week), my GF talked me into going to Cafe O'lei in Kihei (I hate gimmicky names) and it was surprisingly good with decent prices. Way better than I expected. Will definitely return.

I'm not sure if I can get away with this here but I'll try.... I can edit this later, right?

I love eating at Cafe O'Lei. It's awesome.

Speaking of the "gimmicky" name... Cafe O'lei is a very nice restaurant. They have great food, great ambiance and are a class act for sure. It's fantastic on a "date night". In Kihei nothing beats it. That's why the locals have a "locals name for it". People in the know around here are now calling it "Cafe Get Laid". (At least that's what they tell me!)

Be sure to make reservations if you're going on a Friday night!!:wink:

BOOM! You've been SHAKA-TACKED!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom