Finally going to the Grove???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblejunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good dive shop or boat operation diving this and maybe a few other wrecks close by? I'll be down there the last week in Oct. Thanks alot

Before trying to respond, I peeked at your Profile to see what training and experience you have. Wasn't there? You might want to add that?

I greatly enjoy the Key Largo wreck dives on the Grove, the Bibb, the Duanne, and the Eagle, as well as the Thunrderbolt and A.Busch further down the Keys Hiway. These are all deeper dives, though, as the Coast Guard doesn't like wreckage coming close to the surface, and the Gulf Stream current and waves are often a major factor - more adventrue for me, but not good for all.

don

bubblejunkie once bubbled...
Can anyone recommend a good dive shop or boat operation diving this and maybe a few other wrecks close by? I'll be down there the last week in Oct. Thanks alot
My favorite is Silent World, but there are lots of other operators in Key Largo that go the the Spiegel Grove.

Key Largo Chamber of Commerce dive boat list, with websites

Key Largo is a great place for a newbie to get experience, but not on the Grove. I usually suggest they go with the charters geared for them, big cattle boats, less likely to have motionsickness, with DMs in the water, doing shallow reefs.

Key Largo is also a great place for you - for, as I mentioned earlier - "the Grove, the Bibb, the Duanne, and the Eagle, as well as the Thunrderbolt and A.Busch further down the Keys Hiway."

I the town of Key Largo, there are so many to choose from, and many will offer their favorties, generally with good reasons. I've dived with several on a few trips there the last couple of years, but I'm no authority. The one I would feel good about suggesting is Ocean Dwellers, for these reasons:
(1) Nice, big comfy boats;
(2) Impressive operation, at least to my view;
(3) Often puts two different boats out each morning and each afternoon - one for newbies, one for wreck divers (I boarded the wrong one, but made it off);
(4) Nice cafe next door for lunch between trips; and
(5) Perahps important in October - WILL GO, even if they don't sell enough to make a profit on the trip.

If you do call them, please confirm that last point, and that you'll indeed be doing the wrecks you want - weather permitting. Hurricane season there, I believe.

Now, I really like the Eagle, too, but you'd need to book with one of the Taveneir DOps, same key, different town. I like Taveneir Dive Center.

My favorite motel there is the Hungry Pelican and Sunset Cove.

For the Thurnderbolt, I liked Abyss, at the Holiday Inn.

For the A.Busch, which I've only dived once, the one that seemed dependable was Looe Key Dive Center, which used to go on Saturdays and Wednesdays.

Hope this has been of some help...

don

We did the Grove thing with Ocena Divers sometime last year and had a good time. They ran a nice boat and the crew seemed to be good but sometimes it's hard to get a good idea of what an operation is really like after only one trip.

Scott

check out our homepage at www.BlueWaterDiver.net

That's our boat in the foreground. We cater to smaller groups of divers (10 max) and have a great time doing it! Big boats are ok for big groups, but I personally don't like sharing a descent/ascent line with 30+ strangers.

DSAO, have fun, and never stop learning!

I'll be there is 6 weeks. Can't wait. Diving with SeaDwellers and staying at the Holiday Inn, flying Delta.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom