Finally moving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Tonight I take my first tests for DM. I'm taking tests for chapters 3 and 1 (my instructor wanted us to do Chapter 3 first). So far I've sat thru both classroom sessions for OW, and both pool sessions. I've sat thru a Discover Scuba and a Scuba Tuneup at the pool. I've learned how to fill tanks with my LDS's setup and I thoroughtly cleaned out his equipment shed and organized it (this was my idea, not his - he is really good at not making this into a "slave" job. I just wanted to do it). I've helped organize the bags on 2 OW classes for him and so far having fun with it.

But now I'm ready to start getting the classroom stuff going!

I guess by the time of the post that you have taken the tests. Hope you did well...The Dm course is all about keeping it fun because if you do it right it is a certification well earned. It is good that you are taking the initiative to do the grunt jobs...Keep it up...Good luck!!!

Congrats. Hope the test went well.

I took 2 tests, aced them both! Thanks for the encouragement, I am scheduled to take 2 more this coming Friday. RE: grunt work - yes, I am taking this seriously and having fun with it. I not only have worked keeping the LDS tanks filled, going to help this week change the oil in the compressor and/or tune it up, but I also organized the shed where the LDS keeps all the rental gear. It was a mess, I cleaned it up, organized things, labeled and paired up all the fins (by sizes), and generally made it easier to grab equipment. The owner/instructor wants me to start learning more about the retail side but I'm less interested in that, just for now anyway. I'm just ecstatic to be around divers and diving.
Dwayne

Here is my latest progress report:
Done - 3 out of 8 exams, confined water, open water, classroom

Went to the pool yesterday and met my buddy who is taking the DM class with me, we did:
400meter unassisted - he kicked my you-know-what, he did it in 10:00 flat (score of 3), I did it in 12:26 (score of 2).
800meter mask/fin/snorkel - I got my revenge on him, I did it in 17:26 (score of 3), he did it in 18:25 (score of 3, but only by 5 seconds!).
We also did our 15 minute tread, which I did easily. It actually helped me cool down from the 2 previous swims.

Now, all we have to do is the tired diver tow, which we can either do on an upcoming trip to Cozumel or we are going to attend a new instructor doing a Scuba Review class in a week or two... it might be hard to do in a pool but we are leaning towards doing it in the pool anyway, so we don't have to while on vacation.

That is my update, we take 2 more exams this coming Thursday to further knock it out!

It sure feels good to get those sign-offs on the checklist!!!!! Congrats.

No kidding! Anyone else care to share your times for those skills? I'm curious on how slow I was. My buddy, who obviously whipped into oblivion on the 400, used to swim on a team in high school. I've never swam a lap with a stopwatch so this was a whole new experience for me. I'd be curious to see where I sit on the whole.... anybody care to post your times?

I don't remember my times. I do remember that I only scored a 1 on the 400 yd. swim, but made up for it on the others. I was able to do the tired diver tow in a straight line in a lake rather than having to turn a lot in a pool and aced the water tread.

Thanks Paco, now i feel better <grin>. I had heard the 800 wasn't too bad and it wasn't. I've just never had to swim like that with a timer going and my once-on-a-swim-team DM candidate buddy soundly whipped on that 400.

Last night I did the 100m diver tow in 2:40. I nearly died of boredom during the 15 minute tread/float, and did the last two minutes with hands out of the water.

However, I screwed the pooch on the 800m snorkel--20 minutes. I was stupid and did it wearing my Jetfins. Big mistake. Jets don't like to snorkel. And I"m out of shape. Excuses, excuses. I'm going to spend some time doing laps and get some full foot fins and redo the skill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom