Finally moving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Az - well congratulations on what you DID get done. More signoffs on the checklist!! The NAUI tread is 20 mins, which was truly tedious. I did the 900 yard snorkel with my Tusa Xpert Zooms, which seemed to do ok. Are Jetfins too stiff and/or short? It is humbling when one of these "skills" kicks your ass. Now if I can just master that skindiver ditch and recover thing. Good luck on the 800m.

We did the 400 first, took a short break and did the 800, and then the tread. I thought the tread was easy, in fact it kinda helped me cool down. Treading water has always been easy for me. I have a Tusa Imprex snorkel and US Divers Blades, which cut thru the water. Everybody always makes fun of my old Blades but when I need/want to jet thru the water they do it!

The jets are awkward for snorkeling. They seemed to have a lot of resistance to breaking the surface of the water on the downstroke, and I know that I eased off my kicks to prevent my legs from burning out early. That cost me some time. I probably didn't go hard enough, since I wasn't sore the next day.

What was worse, though, was the equipment set up. I know, easy stuff, right? I drag out my "recreational" kit (which I hardly ever look at, much less dive; I dive a Hogarthian kit), connect my regulator--all the while wondering why something doesn't seem right--crack the tank valve and hear a hissing. It takes me a minute to realize that I didn't have a LP inflator hose on the first stage and the port was not plugged. I cannibalized the set for my brother to use months ago and completely forgot about it. Stupid error, not inspecting my "rec kit" before leaving the house. Maybe a worse mistake was not bringing my "standard load," which has just about everything I could possibly need, so even if I was short a piece of kit, I'd have a backup.

And then the snorkel. I had to admit to my instructor that I don't own a snorkel. He told me that I'd need to (re-)learn "the PADI way" of doing things.

Yeah, snorkels are mandatory for Instructors, DM's and TA's in NAUI also, WHEN working in that capacity, but not on their own recreational dives. I personally do not wear one when I am not working. My "standard load" is also frightening. That's why I drive a dually!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom