Finding a (Best) Dive Op in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spreadsheet no longer shows raincoat as their website no longer shows it. The only way I tend to know about different ops and discrepancies of info in the spreadsheet is if someone lets me know or I happen to check a dive ops site again.

As quickly as things can change, I would always recommend confirming information about an op if one is using the spreadsheet.
Of course, I wasn't meaning to complain. Too much in a constant state of change.

I think the most expensive op I have found yet.

If you are really bored and looking for a project.... What about adding a category of dive time limits and group versus individual ascents. It seems that more dive ops are applying max dive times. Your work here is amazing and probably the most helpful threads on the current board.
Thank you. I had that category on my original numbers (Apple) document. Not sure why it didn't get transferred over to the Google doc. Didn't have the info for most of the ops, but did have some. I will work on getting that back in.

Of course, I wasn't meaning to complain.
I never took it that way, but thanks!! I appreciate people letting me know things so I can make updates.

I found Scuba Luis to be a quality operation. Personalized service, very experienced and friendly. Small boats. I’m planning to get my advanced OW through them as soon as I can get back there.
I saw the Scuba Luis boat pull up to the Secrets dock a few times last week and there were no less than 12 divers plus crew on the boat every time! YIKES!

I saw the Scuba Luis boat pull up to the Secrets dock a few times last week and there were no less than 12 divers plus crew on the boat every time! YIKES!
Strange, the Ranger, which I was on in July, wouldn’t even hold that many people- never had more than six plus crew. Maybe they are running another larger boat as well?

Anyway, I’m sure their is a sensible explanation. Luis is a second generation divemaster, and he operates a first class operation.

Question about boat speed for an op on Jon's amazing chart. Looking at Ray Diving. The word "fast" is not included in that boat description, only "small, shade" and of course I'd like to be on a fast one.
I know nothing about boats. On his website there is mention and photo of a "new"(several years ago?) 115 hp Yamaha motor on the "speed boat." Does that size motor on that size of boat (photo here: About Ray Diving Cozumel | Ray Diving) make for a speedy boat? Thanks, boat-savvy sorts.
I guess if that makes for a fast boat, that info should be updated.

Strange, the Ranger, which I was on in July, wouldn’t even hold that many people- never had more than six plus crew. Maybe they are running another larger boat as well?

Anyway, I’m sure their is a sensible explanation. Luis is a second generation divemaster, and he operates a first class operation.
Also worth noting that the Ranger boat does not have marine park permits. It’s illegally operating in the park.

Question about boat speed for an op on Jon's amazing chart. Looking at Ray Diving. The word "fast" is not included in that boat description, only "small, shade" and of course I'd like to be on a fast one.
I know nothing about boats. On his website there is mention and photo of a "new"(several years ago?) 115 hp Yamaha motor on the "speed boat." Does that size motor on that size of boat (photo here: About Ray Diving Cozumel | Ray Diving) make for a speedy boat? Thanks, boat-savvy sorts.
115hp is small. I wouldn’t call it a fast boat. Maybe “quick” haha. Most boats the same size are 150-200hp or two 110hp.

In general, the small boats are fast and the large boats are slow. Some of the small boats are faster than others, but the diving is the thing; it's not a boat race.

Also worth noting that the Ranger boat does not have marine park permits. It’s illegally operating in the park.
Thank you Henry - that boat been operating illegally in a variety of ways for the past several years..

If you're looking for a quality operation with integrity (in no particular order):
Salty Endeavors
Ambient Divers
Blue Project
Caribbean Divers
Scuba Shack
Deep Blue
ScubaTony
Tres Pelicanos
Aldora
Blue Angel
Scuba with Allison
Scuba Life

Sorry if I am leaving some good ones off - but this is a good list

NeilA:

Sensible explanation is that the rules and regulations "don't apply."

Apologies to our dive op. My buddy and I were among the 143 people who did not get to CZM on Christmas Eve. Airline flew us LAX-DEN; when we landed, we learned that we and our Stahlsacs were stranded. DEN-CZM segment was canceled. Headed back to LA today. o_O Thanks to an AirTag, we did locate our luggage.

We are trying to make the best of it. After all, Christmas with family is good consolation. Hope those planning to leave CZM got out somehow. Merry Christmas to all divers and would-be divers.

/Thread hijack

Back
Top Bottom