Finding a vest/hood combo that works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elemeno123

Registered
Reaction score
I just started diving in cold water for a scientific diving class I'm taking. (My previous dives have all been in warm water with a 3mm suit). Right now I have a Bare Arctic 7 mm fullsuit with a 7mm step-in hooded vest.

The fullsuit by itself is a little on the tight side, but okay, but with the 7mm vest included it becomes pretty unbearable. I had to actually abort my last dive because the restriction across my chest was making me nauseated. I can't really go up another size because it will be way too big.

So, I guess my question is how do I find a balance between not having the chest constriction and being warm enough (water temp on the last dive was 50 degrees).

The options I'm considering are:

1) Trying to break in the fullsuit more by wearing it a lot. The problem is that I think the vest is unsalvagable and there's now way even with more breaking in, I'll be able to get a hooded vest underneath. Therefore I'd have to look for a different hood that fits over and I'm worried that I'll run into the same problem.

2) Buying a different suit/ hood combo that's more forgiving. I was thinking of getting a stretchier suit (Pinnacle elastiprene or the Mares Trilastic 8-6-5) with the pinnacle elastiprene hooded vest underneath. Any opinions on these suits? Will it be warm enough?

3) Custom suit. This is a last resort as it'll cost me a lot of money and I probably won't be diving cold that much after the class is over (my research is on tropical fish).

4) Alterations. Getting my current or a new suit altered might give me a better fit. I got some priced out and it looks like it might get pretty pricey with my current suit to get it fixed and I think I'd need to buy a new hood no matter what.

If anyone could give me any advice, that would be great. Wetsuits have been driving me crazy and a drysuit is not an option.

Thanks!

The best way to stay warm is to buy a drysuit. If the cost is too high for your budget, then I would look into a Henderson Hyperstretch Hooded Vest. It is 3mm on the core and 5mm on the hood. When I dive wet, that is what I use. It is not too restrictive under my 7mm two-piece (or 3mm) and it works (for me) as cold as the low 40's.

I just started diving in cold water for a scientific diving class I'm taking. (My previous dives have all been in warm water with a 3mm suit). Right now I have a Bare Arctic 7 mm fullsuit with a 7mm step-in hooded vest.

The fullsuit by itself is a little on the tight side, but okay, but with the 7mm vest included it becomes pretty unbearable. I had to actually abort my last dive because the restriction across my chest was making me nauseated. I can't really go up another size because it will be way too big.

So, I guess my question is how do I find a balance between not having the chest constriction and being warm enough (water temp on the last dive was 50 degrees).

The options I'm considering are:

1) Trying to break in the fullsuit more by wearing it a lot. The problem is that I think the vest is unsalvagable and there's now way even with more breaking in, I'll be able to get a hooded vest underneath. Therefore I'd have to look for a different hood that fits over and I'm worried that I'll run into the same problem.

2) Buying a different suit/ hood combo that's more forgiving. I was thinking of getting a stretchier suit (Pinnacle elastiprene or the Mares Trilastic 8-6-5) with the pinnacle elastiprene hooded vest underneath. Any opinions on these suits? Will it be warm enough?

3) Custom suit. This is a last resort as it'll cost me a lot of money and I probably won't be diving cold that much after the class is over (my research is on tropical fish).

4) Alterations. Getting my current or a new suit altered might give me a better fit. I got some priced out and it looks like it might get pretty pricey with my current suit to get it fixed and I think I'd need to buy a new hood no matter what.

If anyone could give me any advice, that would be great. Wetsuits have been driving me crazy and a drysuit is not an option.

Thanks!
Where is it that you are diving? What are the conditions? How deep are the dives? How many dives in a day?

For the course, we're diving mostly in Monterey and Catalina, though we might spend a day somewhere on the North Coast. All of our diving is in March, so water temperatures will probably be in the low 50s (maybe up to mid-50s in Catalina). Most dives planned are 30-40 feet max, though we have a few deeper dives scheduled (~80 feet). Usually 2 dives a day.

i was using a pinnacle hooded vest under my 7mm when i was still diving wet, and it worked out pretty well. not as well as dry when it gets really cold, but i managed until i got my dry suit. i think it was a 3mm with that merino lining (not sure if that makes a big difference or not, maybe just enough to slow some water movement).

Another option is to go to otter bay, in monterey, and get a custom wet suit. It will fit well, and be warm. In the mid 70s to mid 80s they were required equipment for the Berkeley marine bio classes.

If you can afford a new suit, Otter Bay in Monterey is a great choice, and the Berkeley suit is the best design. Alternatively, you could rather easily have any custom house expand your existing suit a dash so that everything would fit right.

Cricket (at otter bay) is also a good choice for alterations, or a new custom hooded vest. Also their custom 12mm hood is great.

I recently bought an Arctic step-in vest to go over a Large 7mil. I had to go from an L to an XL, even though the size chart and the people at Bare told me the L should be fine. The XL is still a bit snug from shoulder to crotch, but that should loosen up a bit with wear. There was not a big jump is size between the two. I would see if you can exchange the one you have for one size larger. I was very warm in this combination in mid-50's water for 60 minute dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom