Finding arrow heads rivers in Florida (west coast)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lynnemari

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have herd you can find arrow heads in some of the rivers in florida, ( west coast ).
Are there dive ops that go out there? What about the alegators? any info would be great.
thanks Lynne

It's illegal to take anything older than 50 years old out of navigable Florida waters and it's a big fine.

That being said, all the rivers have points in them but the best hunting is in the clear rivers. Any spring feed river will do. Alligators and water moccassins will be there but you probably won't see them. Alligators often leave at the sound of an outboard motor. I don't worry about gators that are less than 6 feet long. Other opinions may vary.

Look for a hard bottom on the river you are searching. Sandy bottoms make it too hard to find heavy objects. Rock beds are primo.

You'll get in less trouble looking for fossils which are found using the exact same techniques. When we hunt for fossils, we go to a clear river, usually in 8 feet or less water, get over weighted to help fight the current, and lay on the bottom, slowly searching the area. If you don't see a lot of small rocks in the area you are hunting you may be wasting your time.

Since 2006 it has been illegal to remove artifacts from Floridas Navigatable Waterways. You also have to have a permit to collect fossils in the state. A Fossil permilt may be aquired through the Florida Museum of Natural History for a fee of $5.00 a year. As far as Alligators, they are not much to be afraid of unless they are really big 8-12' in length. Alligators become dormant in the winter months and very aggressive in the spring due to the mating season. Snakes and Spiders are more dangerous in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom