Finding Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kourtjestr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As a newly certified diver, I was just curious what methods people have the most success with for finding dive buddies in their area (I'm in Maine). I know there's always the "ask your LDS" method, but I figured I would see what else people are doing. There's certainly no rush in the search right now, as my gear is stowed until the sun comes out again in the spring....

Internet forums ... there's a regional forum right here on ScubaBoard that includes your area. There are also smaller internet boards where active divers get together to plan dives ... I suspect with some research you could find one that includes the New England area.

Dive clubs ... there may be in your area (as there are in mine) dive clubs that are independent of dive shops. Those are a great way to meet other divers and develop a circle of dive buddies.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have had some success finding dive buddies by going on local LDS sponsored trips. You get to meet new people and even do some easy diving with them. You get a good feel for their experience level.

I've actually had pretty good luck with just showing up on the boat alone, and letting the captain or DM match me up with an insta-buddy. They have done better at this than I would have.

One tip, though--you have a better chance of getting a more experienced diver to buddy with you on a "routine" dive venue than at "once-in-a-lifetime reef", which latter took much time and money to get to. They won't mind 'spending' a common-site dive 'paying it forward' to a beginner buddy, but they will resist it at a rare or difficult site where skill, experience, and really good air-usage is needed.

That's for boat trips you book yourself. For a shop-sponsored trip, I have relied on the owner (who was my instructor) to do it.

Best result? You get to buddy with the DM. Though on some boats, and regions, DMs stay on the boat.

Shore dives? I don't know. I've sought out locals through boards like this, it's worked well.

One final thought--you may seek the 'perfect' buddy, but sometimes you learn more from the less-than-perfect buddy, from the buddy who's 'better' than you are, or even from the newbie buddy if you're the non-newbie. One can teach you by example, the other can teach you how to react and assist if he does something wrong and needs a little help.

In Oklahoma dive buddies can be far and few between but I will be honest. Taking up dive master was my best move of all as new students are always eager and willing to learn. Once they complete dive number 4 and they are "turned loose" many take on the mentality of well I got my gear here with me till monday and just got certified so what else is there to see. Of these very few turn down an opportunity to dive with more experienced divers so I always meet new divers.

On the flip side of that maybe its just me but I have been able to go with so many great newbies who show great potential but after certification log at best 4 to 6 dives a year. And thats when they have a good year. Go figure.

Yep landlocked Oklahoma has its bad times for great dives sites but one thing is I can enjoy living here because what I have spent on my quest to dive master in Oklahoma may at best get me an advanced open water and maybe the materials to go on to rescue diver by the salt waters. Love our enthusiastic divers here and extremely affordable rates that make diving possible for the working class. Otherwise what they charge by the ocean side I have found you must be a CEO to afford.

Both my local LDSs have drop in dives that I frequented when I first started. Ask about that, and get names and numbers whenever you go on a dive with others. If you ever go on a charter, get names and numbers. Some dive shops have notice boards where you can post your info and get others' info. Also, your LDS might have a Facebook page where you can "advertise" that you're looking for buddies.

Finally, if you're really desperate, set aside one day (Saturday/Sunday) to hang out at your local dive shop and meet everyone who comes in who seems to be an active diver. Or just gear up at a local shore dive, wait for people to come, and ask them to join.

I didn't find forums helpful, but some areas have a lot more divers frequenting scuba diving forums.

In Denver there are few who dive locally but there are a few. I find the best places to hook up with divers in Denver:

• Dive Club Meetings. Most meet monthly. They do plan dives a couple times a year.
  • LDS groups. These may or may not do any local diving, but ours has one good local trip a year.
  • Santa Rosa/Blue Hole diving. We have folks that go down regularly. Maybe you have a similar option within driving distance such as Bonne Terre, or Homestead.
  • Aquarium diving. Many large cities have Aquariums, and they need cleaning and maintenance. After paying some work dues you can dive the big tanks which can be fun.
  • Travel Agency/LDS trips. These are a good way to book a tropical getaway but they tend to be a bit more $$ than doing it yourself.

Hope this helps. :cool2:

i've found a couple of buddies on this board, as well as one 2 other boards. If there is a local inland site, I would show-up one day and see if you can buddy up with anyone. Local dive clubs as well as your LDS are also resources.

Use Scubaboard here. I found some great dive buddies here. My closest dive buddies though I met at my LDS. I went to events the shop sponsored and became good friends with several people. Have a few of them on facebook now. Now we just send each other a message and meet up whenever. Actually just set one up for Saturday through text messages with people from my LDS. Once you show you are eager to dive, usually people from your LDS will invite you to more places.

If you got certified locally, find out if your shop has an e-group or message group. I found some of my first "instabuddies" that way, and had some very good experiences.

Boards like this make a wonderful way to meet other divers. You may have a local board -- ask people at your LDS if they know of one. You can chat with people on line and find out if you're on the same wavelength, and arrange dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom