Finding new wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
As a couple of you have probably figured out (i.e. from facebook etc). I'm going nuts out here finding new wrecks. Most are previously know to someone. So far one in 2011 is previously "unknown" (to the best of my knowledge).

In any case, this one is not in technical depths. Its not something which is really penetrable anymore either. I'm posting it here because to give a sense of what it takes to find stuff. FOIA-ing or downloading data from NOAA. Rendering it on the computer. Pouring over the files 200m2 at a time...

Despite VIPing my own tanks (30+ of them), blending and mixing my own gases, and having boat... Finding new-to-me or even better new-new wrecks takes even more time and effort. Oi. But with 5 new to me wrecks in 2011, one of those being new-new, I'm on track for a 20+ wreck year :)

In any case, here's the City of Tacoma ferry which served the Gig Harbor area prior to completion of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge (1920s).

CityofTacoma.jpg

And here she is bathymetrically (now) after having the superstructure removed and serving as a breakwater for a few years.

COTacoma.jpg

Nothing super wow-ee, but an interesting part of Washington history. We had a video oops, so no UW images of this dive.

Is it the bridge that collapsed in gale force winds? That event was filmed.
If so, this adds some spice to that ferry's history.

How deep is it?

Congratulations for your discovery.

Is it the bridge that collapsed in gale force winds? That event was filmed.
If so, this adds some spice to that ferry's history.

How deep is it?

Congratulations for your discovery.

Yes this was the ferry that served that area before the first bridge was built ("Galloping Gerty" - which collapsed). The City of Tacoma is about 24ft deep or so.

This is just a new-to-me wreck. I'll report on the new-new some other time. I was just trying to add some content here. If I had to guess I have spent about $700 in computer hardware and software and 400 hours since last summer on search efforts for new targets. I have about 40 which are potentially new-new (or possibly just big rocks) and another 150 which are just new-to-me.

yeah, keep up the posts on this - i'm not as interested in wrecks as some folks, but this is cool!

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy them.

Here's one which I think was new-new. At least I've never heard of anyone diving it before.
Flat image, not much about this screams "wreck"
louieflat.jpg

Ok, this is a target!
Louie3d.jpg

Here was our first dive on her... Score!
Louie

My buddies went back and dove her again with a bit more fore-knowledge of her history. I had to work this day, but I'm still pumped to have found her. Scott did alot of research on her demise so his video is a great historical synopsis even though she's only been down about 40 years.
Diving The Louie

No, she's not especially deep (38ffw). We have done a few of the deeper ones though, and have more "technical" projects in the works. Most of the deeper things are reserved for the summer, its just too far to travel, and the weather is too iffy right now. One of my two summer 2011 projects is probably (unfortunately) in ~270ffw, and will be iced over for many more months. The other one is inaccessible behind an international border, a gate, and untold yards of low reservior water. So in the meantime, I am figuring out how to work the "system" to find things in existing data.

That is very cool. I don't for a second underestimate the amount of time and money which it takes to locate new (or semi-new) wrecks. But it must be hugely rewarding.

Good stuff what you are doing. Thanks for sharing!

Hey I know this thread is a few years old, wondering if the OP is still pursuing these interests?

Back
Top Bottom