finding stuff to see on dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow..... so many great tips and ideas!! thank you so much for all the advice guys, can't wait to go for a dive tomorrow and take a new approach on things :)

You're welcome.

Now, pay us back by telling us what you did differently and how that turned out for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

oh my god talk about some great dives!! we literally went down and spent an hour under the boat around a few coral heads.... the viz was great but not much action at first as we could see a lot of the fish scurry away at our presence but then we just decided to sit and not move for a good 15 minutes and by gosh i dont think ive seen the reef behave in such a way ever - it was if we were not even in the water the behaviour was so different and we even had 2 turtles hanging out together who came in to feed on some coral what great dives indeed thanks for the advice guys :)

use a dive light and look in all the nooks and holes. use a light that has a lower kelven temp. to see the warmer colors blue leds dont show reds very well, the new cree bulbs are ok about 5000 kel. the older holagen are about 3000 kelvin the blue led are useless to see the warmer tones. that will slow you down and get your face in the bottom.

Oh wow! So great of you to come back into the thread with such enthusiasm and a vastly different outlook on observing marine life. Kudos to you for putting into practice the various bits of advice you gleaned from the participants here. (I love threads like this!)

In norcal our viz can be 80 feet to 2 feet we have a lot of small stuff in our vast kelp forests , when our viz is bad I find that I find more cool stuff because I focus on a smaller area.

What a great dive story! Like Quero, I love it when we can pass along some tips and make somebody's diving experience better.

As said slow down and remember you are in a 3d space. Don't miss what may be above. Swimming with a roll can be a big help.

You show gender unspecified, if male find a female buddy, they have great eyes for detail.

Pete

Swimming with a roll can be a big help.
Pete, I cannot for the life of me figure out how somebody swims with a roll. Do you mean double back in a circular fashion? Turn from one side to the other? What is a rolling-style of swimming????

Pete, I cannot for the life of me figure out how somebody swims with a roll. Do you mean double back in a circular fashion? Turn from one side to the other? What is a rolling-style of swimming????

Quero, I think Pete means rolling on a longitudinal axis (head to toe), well at least that is how I understand it.

Great advice and it sound like you took it... I have one more: stop waving at the fishies! People with buoyancy issues scull with their hands and this scares the fish. Learn to control your buoyancy with only your BC and your breath. Speaking of breath, the quieter you breath, the more critters you will see.

BTW, if you really want to "blend", try a rebreather. A friend calls them a reefbreather because they are so phenomenal at being silent. I was surprised at how friendly fish get when you aren't making all that racket!

Back
Top Bottom