Finding the Perfect Resort Hotel-What do you want?

What kind of Hotel would you look for in your ideal Palm Beach Dive Trip?

• 4 or 5 star Hotel on Singer Island or Jupiter Island very close to dive boats. Exotic feel!

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • 2 star to 4 star hotel in Downtown Entertainment District less than 15 minutes from dive boats

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Nice Hotels 15 or more minutes away from boats, 2 or 3 stars, no Ocean or Exotic feel

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • I want the cheapest motel that is still clean-can be over 15 minutes away

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I want the cheapest motel period. All $$ possible go to diving

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanV, I agree with almost everything you say. Especially that the pesticide runoff is a way bigger problem (from all I've read) down there. You may well be right about supporting those hotels for the reason you stated. Maybe I was thinking more of the coastal hotels that haven't been built yet (in other places--developing countries, etc.), as I doubt there is much if any space left on the Gold Coast--and divers apparently patronize new ones as soon as they are built. I know you're right in that most S.FL development occurred long ago and whatever damage it caused is done (though that doesn't make it right).

In considering this question, I did the proper, manly thing....I asked my wife.

SHE wants a nice resort hotel, preferably not very large, with a nice pool and easy snorkelling areas [she used to scuba, but has decided to retire from the sport]. _I_ want to dive...but want my wife to be comfortable and entertained while I'm away in the water.

Win-win...it's the only way...:wink:

agreed!!!!:D

Personally I choose the dive shop first, then the closest possible hotel that has a minimum standard.
My minimum standard is pretty simple: Clean rooms with a bed to sleep in and an edable breakfast. Im just in the hotel for sleep and breakfast anyways..

That being said, I preferr to just buy a plane ticket and check with the dive shop if they have any packages that includes diving and the hotel.

Personally I choose the dive shop first, then the closest possible hotel that has a minimum standard.
My minimum standard is pretty simple: Clean rooms with a bed to sleep in and an edable breakfast. Im just in the hotel for sleep and breakfast anyways..

That being said, I preferr to just buy a plane ticket and check with the dive shop if they have any packages that includes diving and the hotel.

Hi Tigerman,
One thing you should know about Palm Beach, is that most Dive Shops do not have their own boats...My personal feeling, is that if you check out the dive boats yourself, you can find a dive experience which is far superior to what you might get if you allow a shop to book you on a boat with no real attempt for a Perfect match.

Several of the palm beach boats have very distinct differences from the other boats, in the dive sites and plans for a given day.....

Let's start with what type of diving YOU really want....are you familiar with the 5 zones that palm beach diving can be divided into? Rubble-inshore; inshore ledge; reef crown ; offshore ledge; offshore rubble and patch reefs.....then the differences in the northern area from the palm beach inlet to Juno and Jupiter, Versus, the breakers and horseshoe reef environments to Delray area from the south of the inlet.....

Tell me what you like, what you want to see....I will tell you what dive sites you need to visit, then boat choices will get much easier.....and then hotel choices will make sense!

Regards,
DanV

.....but if you guys are being honest, then I can't thank you enough, because things are going to be changing in a big way here, very soon :)

Regards,
DanV

Dan - as a marketing professional who has spent the last 20+ years determining the difference between "wants" and "needs" of consumers, I'd suggest you don't get too excited based on your survey results.

:eyebrow:

We frequent WPB/Boynton a couple of times a year. All we desire in a hotel is for it to be clean and in a decent area, all we do is shower and sleep there. :wink:

All meals are eaten on the way to or from the dive boat and each evening we are out enjoying the beaches and a nice restaurant for dinner.

For us, its all about the journey, not the destination.:cool2:

Dan - as a marketing professional who has spent the last 20+ years determining the difference between "wants" and "needs" of consumers, I'd suggest you don't get too excited based on your survey results.

:eyebrow:
Thanks RJP,
I will say I am surprised at how high the percentage is of divers who would want to stay at a 4 or 5 star Hotel on the beach at Singer Island.....While this is what would be "ideal" for the exotic feel, and a great way for Palm Beach to blow away most other dive resort areas in this hemisphere..the reality I was expecting, was more people choosing with their wallet.
If the question was worded differently, maybe the results would be closer to what was expected.... like .. :

For a optimal Dive vacation in Palm Beach, would you prefer to :
  • Spend 200 to $350 per day for the best hotel experience possilbe...?
  • Spend $125 to $190 per day for a really nice hotel experience for the dive trip?
  • Spend $80 to $120 for a clean hotel, not necessarly on the water
  • Spend $60 to $80 for a room with beds.....
Most divers should have some idea of what paying each amount would mean in terms of comfort and atmosphere.....but the dollar amount they "WANT" to spend may mean more.....Anyone have any ideas on this ?

DanV

As long as the room is clean, with a bed and shower. A bar for some post dive beers.

And not in Palm Beach

:wink:

As long as the room is clean, with a bed and shower. A bar for some post dive beers.

And not in Palm Beach

:wink:

You mean , not Palm Beach, the Island....drinks on Palm Beach Island can be pricey, the food definitely pricey!

Palm Beach County is another story entirely....Any kind of resort atmosphere/ Tiki Bar/Restuarant/Club OR price level you want can easily be had within the county...Between Singer Island, the Downtown Clematis Steet area, and the DelRay Beach Entertainment District on Atlantic, pretty much every interest is covered...

Regards,
DanV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom