Finished Divemaster, Did I just Make a Mistake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I'm playing devil's advocate here and it's certainly just my opinion but I don't know that I think the amount of time the OP has been diving is quite as important as how many dives he's made. In one previous post he said he's logged 150 dives since 01/2019.....that's some serious diving for 9 months time! I'm certainly not going to say anything negative about his experience level. Do we disagree that you can get some decent buoyancy control in 150 dives? Or that we can't develop any muscle memory when it comes to emergency drills, etc.? Like I said, I don't disagree that the OP hasn't been diving very long, but to log the number of dives he's logged in such a short time is at the very least moderately impressive and certainly enough dives to develop decent skills. But again it's just my opinion.

In one previous post he said he's logged 150 dives since 01/2019.....

I am curious about the nature of these dives. If they're legit dives in a variety of conditions, then that's great. If they're pool dives (and yes, some people log pool dives) not so impressive.

My eyeroll was more about the money-making aspect of being a part-time DM.

I appreciate everyone's feedback it has been insightful and helpful. I think it would be good to just "settle" in and get a year under my belt and see where I stand. I love diving, and I have really enjoyed working up to get my DM. It has made me a better diver. I have over 150 dives since Jan/2019 which has been a blast, and I enjoy teaching others to dive.

BUT

After reading a lot of your posts it feels like shop owners have done a excellent job of conditioning divers who turn DM to believe they should only be paid in "favors". I understand its all about the experience, but as a DM you are a diving professional, which as a professional shouldn't you be paid for your services? It appears the diving industry as a whole feeds off of well-intentioned individuals that put up hard earned money to be trained in a professional capacity only to be told "here's your free air fills and 20% off a wetsuit". This may be the widely accepted model, but why people accept it is beyond me. I really enjoy training people and being at the dive shop, but at some point you have to ask yourself whether your being properly compensated for your role and your time.

Thoughts?

My first thought is: over 150 in less than 9 months?! Holy s***t. This absolutely blows my mind. Kudos to you for being able to pull it off. I'd be curious to hear more on the geography of your diving.

My second though is: if your day-time job allows you to be able to afford 150 dives in 9 months - stick to it. You'd have hard time breaking even with your diving-related costs while doing part time DM or instructor gig, so keep it as a hobby that you obviously enjoy, and keep doing what you've been doing - it works very well for you :)

My first thought is: over 150 in less than 9 months?! Holy s***t. This absolutely blows my mind. Kudos to you for being able to pull it off. I'd be curious to hear more on the geography of your diving.

My second though is: if your day-time job allows you to be able to afford 150 dives in 9 months - stick to it. You'd have hard time breaking even with your diving-related costs while doing part time DM or instructor gig, so keep it as a hobby that you obviously enjoy, and keep doing what you've been doing - it works very well for you :)

Pretty much every weekend, multiple dives a day. Maybe this brings more clarity to my original post.

I had around 600 dives before getting my DM cert. I didn't want to do it, but it was for the cost of materials if I went from AOW through DM and helped out with classes for two years. I also had to help my Instructor move twice and housesit with his sock-eating dogs. I worked as a DM for a year for zero pay. I worked part-time at the shop, so I already got free fills and discounts. After a year I realized I wasn't enjoying diving as much so I didn't renew my DM cert. I've been happy ever since.

Pretty much every weekend, multiple dives a day. Maybe this brings more clarity to my original post.
Were those dives with OW students? I didn't count any of those because I wasn't able to look around on my own and enjoy the dives. I know one diver who counted twelve dives per day during her Rescue course. Most of those dives were less than five minutes, yet she counted them all.

As long as you passed the course, and more importantly paid PADI for it, you are an official divemaster. If you are young and willing to live cheap you might have some fun and get some tattoos and a nice tan. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom