Finishing my OW training at FL Springs-Do I need a light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can only speak for PADI, but OW certification dives do not require lights. As you move on, yes, you'll need them based on the diving or training you'll do. And to Jorgy's point, I always have a small one but that's because I am a certified diver. And be sure to heed boulderjohn's advice on diving to your limits and training.

I'm a recently OW/Nitrox certified diver in the Tampa area. We did our cert dives in Clearwater but our instructor mentioned that he sometimes does certs at Blue Grotto. He also recommended that Blue Grotto would be a good place for me to dive and learn.

So, for my birthday, I hired an instructor (mine was unavailable) and dived Blue Grotto and Devil's Den. They were very cool dives and I enjoyed them very much. It was "cave diving" in essence (as there were brief times with overhead coverage) and a light was necessary for about 90% of the dive. (The picture in my Profile was taken at Blue Grotto).

That being said... I would doubt that you need to purchase a light. You'll probably do some skills in the "basin" area and a light is not necessary there. Also, I would think that your instructor would inform you and provide a light if necessary.

Hope that helps!
:D

Thank you all for your responses. My training went beautifully and it was a great time at the Florida Springs. I had plenty of time to finish my OW training dives and get in several dives afterward. I ended up borrowing my husbands small light once my training dives were done to use to peek around under rocks looking for catfish and it was all I needed. Thank you all again.

Thank you all for your responses. My training went beautifully and it was a great time at the Florida Springs. I had plenty of time to finish my OW training dives and get in several dives afterward. I ended up borrowing my husbands small light once my training dives were done to use to peek around under rocks looking for catfish and it was all I needed. Thank you all again.

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of diving!

Hey I just went through my o/w certification dives at Troy springs and Ginnie springs. They will not allow you to carry a light unless you have cave certification(although no one is checked).
At Troy springs there is no need for a light you are not in any overhead situations. At Ginnie we went into the cavern with the instructor he was equiped with a light but it was not needed there was plenty of ambient light. At Blue Grotto there well be plenty of light without the need for additional lighting. The springs are great. Viz is always good as long as you get there early before other classes start and it gets silted. It is usually pretty crowded so I would stress getting there early for the best experience. We arrived at Ginnie just a few minutes after a college training group arrived and the viz went downhill quick there were probably 25 students that got off the bus. Good luck and Enjoy.
Clear Water and Calm Seas! Dave

You are not required to have a light for your OW Training Dives. That being said, it is always a good idea to have a small powerful light with you on all dives. You never know what nooks and crannies you may want to check out (and I'm NOT referring to any OVERHEAD environment) Plus, you will be wanting to go on to some forms of advanced training, and a light IS required for this. On top of this, the small light you buy today can become the back up light for your can light tomorrow. It'll be a good investment with a long life of usage in return.
Take care,
George

Back
Top Bottom