Fire coral? For over a week???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, you can't leave us hanging. We've got to know how she took it :) BTW, I still have a scar on my shin from a sting I got seven years ago. And it two about a week to ten days before the rash went away.

Well crap....that didn't go as planned. Had her talked into it, thoroughly convinced, took aim but was laughing too hard and she figured something was up......went with vinegar and an Allegra instead. For the record...it's a lot harder to laugh and pee on your wife than you would think....If it's still there tomorrow, and based on the Central Oklahoma weather predictions for tonight, we may be in Oz tomorrow....we will seek the advice of the great and powerful Oz.....or call our local Dr. for some steroid cream. Not going to mention the Pregnisone.... nope.nope.nope. It turns her green and she chases everyone on her broom...and refuses to dive.....something about water.....

Thanks again for all the responses. Everyone have a great evening.

Jay

For the record...it's a lot harder to laugh and pee on your wife than you would think....If it's still there tomorrow,

Jay

@Jayfarmlaw If what is still there tomorrow? Her rash or your.. errr well you get the picture.
:cheers:
Hydrocortisone works too less steroids, over-the-counter.

Everyone is different and has different allergic reactions to various stings and bites. Some are totally immune, others will show welts for weeks. Aside from prescription ointments, last trip some of our friends turned us on to over-the-counter "Andantol" ointment available at the Mega. Give that a try as it's supposed to be better than everything else that is available OTC in Mexico or the states (so we were informed). My wife says it works better than any common OTC cortisone creams she's used in the past.

Andantol - Andantol is an antihistamine and anticholinergic used as an antipruritic. Indication: For the topical treatment of itching associated with allergic reactions. Andantol, an azaphenothiazine derivative, competitively binds to histamine (H1) receptors, resulting in inhibition of the pharmacological effects of histamines. It also has some sedative, anticholinergic and antiserotoninergic effects. More: Andantol (isothipendyl hydrochloride) drug & pharmaceuticals. Andantol available forms, doses, prices
Jelly; Topical; Isothipendyl Hydrochloride 0.75%

Probably a lot like Benadryl ointment.

Vinegar and Allegra seems to be working, still has the rash, but it's not itching and seems to be drying. DAN response was in line with the suggestions here, but said vinegar was only effective the first day? I keep telling her a squirt of pee will clear it right up...I just get "the look."

Opportunity wasted.....dang.

Thanks again everyone.
Jay.

DAN's Reply:

James (and Kelly),

Thank you for contacting Medical Services of Divers Alert Network. I am sorry to learn of Kelly's hydroid contact. Hydroids are often found on mooring lines, but can colonize in other locations as well. Hydroids are in the same general family as jellyfish with a similar stinging nematocyst. Initial care includes vinegar to help neutralize any unfired nematocysts, but after the first day, vinegar typically has no benefit as the stinging cells will have been washed away by normal daily activities and bathing.

At this point, treat the rash as you would other contact dermatitis such as poison ivy. Allegra may help. Benadryl may give more relief from the itching, but can also cause significant drowsiness in many people. Topical steroids such as cortisone cream may also help, and are available over-the-counter.

Also consider soaking the affected area in hot water. Be careful not to cause burns, but heat can help with circulation, itching, and pain control. Soak the affected area for 10-20 minutes at a time, several times per day.

Beyond antihistamines, steroids, and heat, the rash generally needs time to resolve. 2-3 weeks is not uncommon, but should be gradually improving. If severe or not improving, oral steroids can be considered, but are rarely needed unless the rash is extensive or in a sensitive location.

Please feel free to call or email for additional information or assistance.

Frances
DAN Medical Services

LoL..............we live in the same town haha.

I learned about touching coral, any coral, when I put my hand out to prevent being tossed into it in a surge in the Red Sea. And smuggled a small piece back to the States IN that finger. Never bothered me, but when the doctor saw it, he said YOU SIT RIGHT DOWN THAT'S COMING OUT NOW with no debate about it. I can't remember which finger or hand that was, but it taught me not to touch anything I didn't know was safe.

Now I've got these handy Kevlar trash-handling gloves. Good dexterity. Sort of like brown gardening gloves but not brown, and made of Kevlar, so you can literally pick up ground glass without getting cut. Under $5 in any hardware or janitorial supply. FWIW.

And I still don't want to touch unknown "stuff".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom