First Aid Course as a Prerequisite of PADI Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Cool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am curious and want to know which other first aid courses aside, from EFR (Emergency First Response), are approved by PADI as a prerequisite to taking the Rescue course. Does Red Cross or St Johns Ambulance qualify? I am planning to take my rescue course when I go on a dive vacation early next year. I want to take the EFR or First Aid course locally (here in BC Canada) but want to make sure that it complies with PADI before I fly off to the Philippines to take my Rescue course with a dive shop over there. My LDS (PADI affiliated) accepts a St Johns Ambulance course but St Johns Ambulance is not present in the Philippines so the PADI-affiliated dive shop over there will not recognize it and they may not allow me to participate in the Rescue course.

The PADI Rescue Diver Instructor Guide does not specify, it simply says:

. . . a sanctioned course in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR-Primary Care) and basic first aid (Secondary Care) within the past two years (24 months).

I have seen both Red Cross and American Heart used. St. John's should also qualify. Just so long as you can demonstrate that both CPR (primary care) and secondary care first aid were covered. But it's probably best to first check with the shop you plan to take the Rescue course with.

Enjoy your course.

I agree with those listed by knotical. I would avoid an online CPR and first aid course since they do not require hands-on skills testing

I am curious as to whether the EFR course offered by PADI has an expiration date. Every F/A course I have ever taken has a definate lifespan after which a recertification is required. If so, do divers need to recertify their EFR portion on an ongoing basis in order to validate their rescue diver certification?

Personally I accept almost any valid CPR / First aid course that is not expired. All students must demonstrate to me CPR and basic first aid no matter what certification card they hold and how long ago they took the course include an EFR course took two weeks ago unless I personally taught the course.

As the certifying Rescue Diver instructor it is my responsibility to not only ensure you are certified in CPR and first aid but that you can properly perform them.

. . . do divers need to recertify their EFR portion on an ongoing basis in order to validate their rescue diver certification?
ROgue's right about the two years, but it's a recommendation only. To answer your other question, the Rescue Diver certification does not require renewal of first aid training.

Various workplaces require updates, including the shop where I work. And of course to retain my status as an EFR instructor, I must renew my credentials every two years.

Although recertification is not required rescue refresher courses and EFR refresher courses are suggested every other year.

Once you hold your rescue diver cert it does not expire, but holding the cert does not mean your skills do not get stall. You should want to take a refresher to keep your skills fresh not because a agency is saying your card is expired.

Back
Top Bottom