First BCD purchase - Aqua Lung Pro HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpace

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are newly certified divers with a total of 10 dives so far. We are looking to purchase our own dive gear. We will be using it for travel to warm water locations probably about once or twice per year. I have been looking at the Aqua Lung Pro HD BCD for both of us. From what I understand this is a relatively new BCD from Aqua Lung. We do not live in a location where we can demo different BCDs.

Does anybody have any thoughts/reviews of the Aqua Lung Pro HD BCD?

My wife and I are newly certified divers with a total of 10 dives so far. We are looking to purchase our own dive gear. We will be using it for travel to warm water locations probably about once or twice per year. I have been looking at the Aqua Lung Pro HD BCD for both of us.

Typical "package" rate in places like Bonaire is ~$50. Assuming you won't be spending more than a week diving on each trip, $500 takes 10 vacations i.e. 5+ years to get even. On the flip side, leaving the money in a bank for 5 years is probably a worse investment, so...

I used a pro hd teaching not to long ago and really like it. Seemed like an all around good bc. Especially if you and your wife will be traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I may, there are a few issues with the pro HD as a travel BCD. Firstly, it has a hard backpack and is quite large so that makes it tough to pack and fit into suit cases. Secondly, the amount of lift is far and above what you would need for tropical diving (24-30 lbs). It's really not suited to being a travel BCD.

If you are wearing a 3mm full suit and using AL80 tanks (very common), then you really only require about (6+4) 10 lbs of weight so the amount of lift you'll need is around 20 lbs. Worst case if you have a lot of "bioprene" you'll use another 5-8 lbs, so 18 lbs of lead max. This BCD is probably buoyant as well increasing the amount of lead you'll need unnecessarily.

Aqualung makes quality gear but can also include a lot of bells and whistles that are unnecessary and up the price.

A better choice in the AquaLung line would be the ZUMA series.

Feel free to ask me any questions you like, I've worked with AquaLung products for almost 20 years.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typical "package" rate in places like Bonaire is ~$50. Assuming you won't be spending more than a week diving on each trip, $500 takes 10 vacations i.e. 5+ years to get even. On the flip side, leaving the money in a bank for 5 years is probably a worse investment, so...

I realize renting may be more cost effective, but generally prefer my own gear for activities (diving, skiing , biking, etc.) that I am going to do more than a few times. IMO, rental equipment condition/quality vary greatly from shop to shop.

Here's my standard response.

As new divers you probably took classes with a Jacket BCD. They're easiest to configure for your shop/training purposes and do a pretty decent job. Especially while floating you on the surface vertically. For actual diving though, a back-inflate model seems like a superior design since when horizontal the air bubble is completely on your back making it generally easier to trim out while actually diving. If you consider the 3 common types - Jacket, Back-Inflate or Backplate/Wing - 2 of 3 position all the air on your back. Must be a reason for that...A telling example is one of the low-end Jacket models - maybe a Mares or Cressi? - comes with a permanent barcode on the shoulder for inventory tracking purposes...

Also while the Pro HD is a good option for you she might like something cut for a woman instead. Both for the "girls" and also since they're generally shorter in the torso since most women are also. Which positions the integrated weights in the right spot.

For that reason, maybe consider a Pearl instead if you're set on an Aqualung Jacket. Or a Lotus if you decide back-inflate is a better option. Whatever you do - don't buy an I3. It takes a relatively simple, straighforward inflator design (schrader valve - there's one in your tires) that's been used for decades and needlessly complicates it so you can push a lever instead. And adds about 20+ failure points, custom dump valves, a custom lever system in the process. Making the only place you can get it fixed an Aqualung Dealer with a specially trained technician - and more importantly the only place to get repair parts. That's gotta cost more...

My anecdotal story is diving the 2nd day on a liveaboard trip a few years ago. The diver next to me powered up his gear and we both watched his inflator button fly across the deck. However the spring flew farther - over the railing into the water. The DM laughed, went below and came back with one he'd cut off a rental. Two cable ties later and the diver was on the same dive I was. Had it been an Aqualung he'd have been renting all week since the boat never touched land. Maybe an extreme example but it's why I stay away from anything proprietary if possible. I don't buy my own personal gear not to use it.

For only warm water, vacation diving the ZUMA is a much better option. You can add another pocket to the front strap to carry more stuff if desired, it's small, lightweight and rolls up into a bag that is small and light enough to carry on. Other similar options are ScubPro's Lighthawk or Zeagle's Covert - which at 3.9lbs. is among the lightest sold and designed to roll-up. 2013 Lighthawks are also selling for $250 at LeisurePro.com. The Covert is $439

My feeling is with your planned dive count - keeping it clean and rinsed you may never need to have it serviced. I do a lot more dives every year than you may total, abuse my gear slightly and in the last 12 years that I've owned my current BC - the only repairs it's needed was one $25 inflator hose. I more changed that also since the company has a new version for $50 with a removable inflator so you screw on a standard garden hose to flush it. It hasn't seen the inside of a shop in at least 8 years. I took it in once for a end of warranty check but not since.

---------- Post added January 1st, 2016 at 03:44 PM ----------

If you don't have a local shop anywhere nearby - consider Scubatoys options also. While they don't sell Aqualung they do sell a lot of other well-known brands. And have a very liberal exchange policy - they'll even swap parts on some modular lines like the Zeagle - till you get the right fit. Leisurepro.com also has a personal fit guarantee on a lot of their products. I do not know the details. I also returned a BC to Divers Direct once but they jacked me around for almost two months before issuing the credit.

I prefer the Pro because it is non weight integrated.
Avoid the I3.
There are differences between male and female jacket bc.
Make sure you try them FIRST.
Don't try them on your LDS and then order on line!!

If you're only going to be taking trips for all your diving, you really only need a travel backpack (soft) a couple tank straps, ten feet of 2 inch webbing plus a crotch strap, some buckles and a handful of D rings and sliders, then something like an 18 pound bag - easy peasy)))
I know the temptation is great to get a super cool BC from a quality Mfg like Aqua Lung but think about where you'll be experience wise a few years from now.

I thow my tropical kit together in about 15 minutes and combined weight is around 6 lbs
1.) Oxy Cheq Travel Pack ( padded soft pack )
2,) Oxy Cheq 18# wing

It's generally a good bcd, easy to use, affordable, and comes with integrated weight. We use it mostly for rentals and guest have no complaints. Even Aqualung Wave is good and I consider it one level below Pro HD.

BUMP:

I just got my open water certification today and I was using a school-supplied Aqualung Pro HD. It worked well enough but I have little experience diving and nothing to compare it to. I'd like to buy from (and support) my local shop...they only carry Aqualung and Sherwood.

My instructor is recommending I stick with the Aqualung Pro HD. He said it's high quality (for what it is) and that Aqualung provides excellent support when needed. I hope to get into spearfishing.

Thoughts?

Tipsy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom