First BCD purchase - Aqua Lung Pro HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BUMP:

I just got my open water certification today and I was using a school-supplied Aqualung Pro HD. It worked well enough but I have little experience diving and nothing to compare it to. I'd like to buy from (and support) my local shop...they only carry Aqualung and Sherwood.

My instructor is recommending I stick with the Aqualung Pro HD. He said it's high quality (for what it is) and that Aqualung provides excellent support when needed. I hope to get into spearfishing.

Thoughts?

Tipsy

@diversteve pretty much summed up everything I wanted to say! I agree, the Zuma is probably better for travel and warm water diving; however, if you decide to do anything cold water that might not provide enough lift for you so you want to keep the end in mind. Regardless of what you decide to go with and what your instructor says, it needs to fit you well. Are you able to try any of the Aqua Lung or Sherwood BCs to compare the fit and feel in the water?

@diversteve Regardless of what you decide to go with and what your instructor says, it needs to fit you well. Are you able to try any of the Aqua Lung or Sherwood BCs to compare the fit and feel in the water?

I haven't asked if I could try any of the other Aqualung or Sherwood models. I am considering a used Scubapro Glide-X (for about the same price as a new Pro HD) but it's not local to me and I'm a bit reluctant to buy used without being able to verify fitment.

I guess the OP of this thread was primarily a travel/vacation diver. I'll be diving locally more often than not, so suitability for travel isn't a primary concern.

I'm still leaning toward the Aqualung Pro HD, as I have't read anything as of yet to dissuade me from this choice.

Tipsy

Last edited:
I'm kind of in the same boat. I settled on the sherwood avid cqr 3. It's cheaper than the Aqualung Pro HD, Had a good scubalabs rating and I really like it for stability both under and on the water. The weight release system is the best I have tried..

cpace:
Does anybody have any thoughts/reviews of the Aqua Lung Pro HD BCD?
My instructor is recommending I stick with the Aqualung Pro HD. He said it's high quality (for what it is) and that Aqualung provides excellent support when needed. I hope to get into spearfishing. Thoughts?
There is nothing particularly wrong with a Pro HD. There is also nothing particularly right about it either. It is simply a run-of-the-mill jacket BCD. I own, and use in the pool at times, an Aqualung Wave. Both units are well-made, and there are some interesting similarities in appearance and function (notwithstanding the difference in weight integration). Aqualung is a very good company, that stands behind their products, with a well-developed distributor network.

I have my personal preferences regarding BCDs, and any comments I make are necessarily biased, according to those preferences. Things about the Pro HD that I do not care for:

1. It is weight-integrated. Although that seems to be a popular direction in the industry, the problem is that the weight pockets on the BCD put the weight below the diver's physiologic center of lift (the lungs / thorax) which pulls the legs down a bit, and creates the poorly trimmed '45'er' - the diver who swims underwater at a 45 degree angle - and wastes air and energy. A diver does not HAVE to become a 45'er just because they are wearing one. But, most newer divers are still learning the intricacies of proper trim, and becoming a 45'er is a not uncommon result of the mismatch of the respective positions of physiologic lift and weight. That 45 degree attitude underwater is inefficient, and causes the diver to use more air than necessary.

2. It is positively buoyant (aka 'floaty'). It has completely unnecessary padding on the back, and the fabric, while strong, is also positively buoyant. What that translates to, for the vast majority of divers, is the need to add additional weight to compensate for the positive buoyancy of the BCD itself. It is somewhat ironic - the BCD is a 'buoyancy compensation device', intended to compensate for the loss of buoyancy at depth as the diver's neoprene compresses. Yet, it also becomes a 'compensator' for the additional weight that the diver has to add to offset the positive buoyancy of the BCD at the surface. I have no desire to carry a single ounce of weight that is not necessary. It is inefficient, and causes the diver to use more air than necessary.

3. Partly as a result of the need to add additional weight to compensate for the unnecessary positive buoyancy of the unit, the BCD is rated to provide more lift than is generally necessary for single cylinder diving. But, the higher rating translates into a larger bladder, and the greater possibility of a shifting 'bubble' underwater, which makes achieving good trim more difficult. That is inefficient, and causes the diver to use more air than necessary to compensate for the shifting bubble.

4. It has only one cylinder cam band. I prefer two. While having two cam bands is not a solution for failure to properly tighten single cam bands on shore during equipment assembly, having two in place does offer some additional support, and makes it a bit less likely that the cylinder will slip down and out of the band(s), below and behind the diver. Having two bands also adds to the over stability of the unit.

5. It is quite overpriced, at a MSRP of $499. Paying a premium price for an average product is particularly inefficient.

6. It really doesn't fold up well, and therefore doesn't travel as compactly as other BCDs. This leads to either larger luggage, or the need to leave other items at home, which is particularly inefficient.

As I said, none of this is particularly wrong, nor is it particularly right. It does appear to be particularly inefficient.

There are many other options that may offer greater efficiency, and comparable, if not better, performance.

I appreciate the feedback. I realize it's just one man's opinion but if you were a new diver and planning to getting into spearfishing, diving locally most of the time, in warm water and interested in buying from your LDS, who sells Aqua Lung and Sherwood (though interested in suggestions for any/all brands), what would be your recommendation for a first BCD?

Incidentally, my instructor was pretty good about teaching us how to distribute weight using the trim pockets so as to achieve as level a position as possible.

Tipsy

FWIW, I had a Sherwood CQR2 and the tank supports tore out of the back of the BC. Sherwood replaced it with their latest CQR3 for $300 through my LDS. I just got the replacement. The build quality appears cheap. Flimsy zippers on the pockets; small quick release clips; thin material on all straps. Vinyl cover over the top half of the pockets will scratch easily. With zero use (just out of the bag), the belly strap doesn't secure properly, one side slips with the slightest tug. The revised weight system appears to have necessitated reducing the size of the pockets and moving them toward the back a bit. So, the pocket will no longer close with my safety sausage and finger reel in it, and the position of the pocket and the zipper make it difficult to access. For me, one of the benefits of a jacket style BC is having large pockets that reduce the amount of stuff I have to hang off d-rings.

My LDS carries the Aqualung Pro HD and we did a side-by-side comparison. The Pro HD is simply a heavier duty build. Better zippers with a more functional pocket design, heavier straps, heavier clips, no vinyl. I'm going to see if I can return the CQR and, perhaps, I will replace it with the Pro HD.

On the one tank strap vs two issue, while I have enjoyed the extra security of two straps, diving steel I find that I must perfectly align the tank in both straps to avoid a slight tilt to one side or the other. This is actually trickier than it sounds, particularly for the second dive when the changeover is occurring on a pitching boat. When securing the second band, I have to adjust for the very slight shift that occurs when I lock the strap down. It's a pain. Maybe not an issue with AL80s; an annoyance with my steel 120, which is a long tank.

Lots of advice to sift through. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom