First Bubbles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone,

I would like to share some points about my second pool session. This was the second time i have ever used a scuba unit so it is still an alien-ware for me. We were in the pool for 2 hours and the other student cried again during some practices which was interesting. It was supposed to be fun for her.

First of all i learnt how to assamble the gear myself properly. This feels good. Otherwise it feels like you are packed with something and thrown to the pool.

CESA: didnt happen because the pool is only 2 meters max. We tried it horizantally which was strange to me. Next time we will use a 4 meter pool. i think it will be better there.

FIN PIVOT: success. it was like a magic. especially with oral inflation. my body was a kind of BCD..

SWIM WITHOUT MASK: i want to do it again, it was fun. mask replacement is also a kind of magic.

SCUBA UNIT REMOVAL UNDERWATER: why did i fly up? I took the BCD in front of me. And suddenly i started moving up and finally surfaced without my BCD. Checked this video at 2:57 ( PADI Divemaster skills circuit Part 2 - YouTube ). He is able to sit there, stable. Later i was able to perform this skill by putting the cylinder on my right knee.
I wrote a report about the lesson to my teacher. I am waiting for reply about that. for this, and the other issues.

HOVERING: It was not good. Needs to be practised one more time to be ready.

AIR SHARE-SWIM WITH BUDDY: It was good and fun. But as we were swimming i thought to myself "God! I hope this never happens. It must be horrible in a real situation under 25 meters".

I am looking forward for the third and last pool session. And then we will go the lake for open water dives. It think it will be like 7-9 meters.

Good day every one!

If you are using integrated weights, then when you separate from your BC, it becomes an anchor and you become a float. Depending on the difference between the two it could make for a comical sight. This is how my students learn to do this skill:

• Get neutral and completely horizontal (about 2 foot off of the bottom)
  • Undo all the fasteners for your BC (cummerbund, waist, chest, crotch, etc)
  • Get your left arm out (loosen the BC shoulder strap if it binds)
  • Roll clockwise under your BC (to your left) all the while keeping your BC ABOVE you.
  • Fix whatever needs to be fixed.
  • To don the BC just reverse the process.

Like TSandM said, kneeling shouldn't be a part of scuba instruction. It sets a bad precedent and keeps you from attaining a horizontal profile. Don't worry: it's not going to harm you in the long run as long as you know that being horizontal is where it's at. :D

If you are using integrated weights, then when you separate from your BC, it becomes an anchor and you become a float. Depending on the difference between the two it could make for a comical sight. This is how my students learn to do this skill:

• Get neutral and completely horizontal (about 2 foot off of the bottom)
  • Undo all the fasteners for your BC (cummerbund, waist, chest, crotch, etc)
  • Get your left arm out (loosen the BC shoulder strap if it binds)
  • Roll clockwise under your BC (to your left) all the while keeping your BC ABOVE you.
  • Fix whatever needs to be fixed.
  • To don the BC just reverse the process.

Like TSandM said, kneeling shouldn't be a part of scuba instruction. It sets a bad precedent and keeps you from attaining a horizontal profile. Don't worry: it's not going to harm you in the long run as long as you know that being horizontal is where it's at. :D

That is exactly how I was taught after struggling with it. My problem was the reverse though, in the pool I used a weight belt and it seemed like the BCD was shooting away from me, but using the steps that doc outlined, it was simple. And, TBH, its probably something I should do more often. I think i've only done it a few times at best, and if the situation arose in an OW dive, I'm not sure how stable my reaction would be.

Back on topic, glad to see that you're progressing. Just keep at it, you probably didn't learn to drive your first week either. Just focus on what you feel lacking in, ask your instructor for feedback and practice practice practice. Besides, it's fun :)

If you are wearing the weights, then you become the anchor and you want to do this with your BC always BELOW you. Rather than starting the process prone, you will start it while supine.

Back
Top Bottom