first class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuberd:
Thanks for your input. I think I am ready, I do know the material very well; however it's like I'm forgetting something, but I don't know what. And I'll try to make it fun :wink:

Purely natural to be feeling a few butterflies before your first actual class.

BTW, there are many Instructors on this board that hang around the Instructor to Instructor forum. Now that you're a Pro, you should ask for access.

Bonne chance,

scuberd:
I just got my instructor cert a couple of months ago and teusday night is my first class. I'm excited, but I still feel somewhat unprepared although I've been going over my lessons for over a week. Any tips out there for my first class?

Just keep it light. It's only scuba. It's supposed to be fun.

If you do that, you'll be fine and the students will relax and do great.

Have a fun class. Then think of ways to spend the millions of dollars you'll make teaching.;-)

Everything did go well, I still feel like I forgot something. I PMed Netdoc about joining the instructor forum and havn't heard anything back, he must be busy.

Thanks for your input

NEWreckDiver:
Wow, this a little harsh don't you think? I am glad you know your material, but everyone has to have their first class and being a little nervous is normal.

Maybe a little harsh, but valid to a great extent. A good teacher of any subject should know their material well enough to go into a room and teach anybody something of their topic. Without props, slides, guides or whatever. IMHO, if you can't teach without the manual, there's a problem.
This is certainly a topic for another thread. All we should be doing here is wishing Scuberd good luck!
Neil

scuberd:
I just got my instructor cert a couple of months ago and teusday night is my first class. I'm excited, but I still feel somewhat unprepared although I've been going over my lessons for over a week. Any tips out there for my first class?

Get a good DM to help you.

:)

R..

scuberd:
Everything did go well, I still feel like I forgot something. I PMed Netdoc about joining the instructor forum and havn't heard anything back, he must be busy.
Thanks for your input

Good going! It's NEVER too late to add information, so don't worry about forgetting something. Just add it next class.

Neil

neil:
Maybe a little harsh, but valid to a great extent. A good teacher of any subject should know their material well enough to go into a room and teach anybody something of their topic. Without props, slides, guides or whatever. IMHO, if you can't teach without the manual, there's a problem.
This is certainly a topic for another thread. All we should be doing here is wishing Scuberd good luck!
Neil

Experienced instructors aren't born that way. Give the man a break.

R..

Diver0001:
Experienced instructors aren't born that way. Give the man a break.
R..
Yes, of course. I wasn't ripping Scuberd, just replying to the other post. I wish Scuberd only the best in his new teaching. I have absolutely no intention or cause to doubt his abilities. Mike F's post, and mine, while perhaps misplaced, bear on one of the underlying problems facing the scuba industry today, IMO: the seeming lack of well-trained instructors. As I said, a topic for another thread.
Neil

Know the material inside and out and present it logically and correctly the first time. Try not to overload them with too much information at a given time. Don't give them way to much info...it's just a basic class. Keep people interested and talkative by asking questions during the lecture. Make sure you look at everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom