first class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've gotten lots of good tips. Some are concrete and specific, while others are suggestions for how you approach the class in general.

I agree about having fun. If you aren't enjoying the class, the students won't either - worse, they won't learn much.

Second, you really should teach what you know. If you're not tuned in to a topic, get into it before you teach it.

Third, get and stay organized. Your students may very well expect that they hired a professional, and you should assure them thay they have by not thinking, teaching, and being disorganized.

Analyze your teaching when you finish each session. What did you do that hit a home run, and what will you change next time.

Keep your students engaged. If they aren't interacting with the info, they aren't learning much.

Finally, don't let a minor slip or error ruin you. We all slip up. Correct it, do better, and move on.

Good luck with the class. Enjoy!

NEWWreckDiver:
Wow, this a little harsh don't you think? I am glad you know your material, but everyone has to have their first class and being a little nervous is normal.[/QUOTE\

Harsh how? All I did was describe what works for me.

Diver0001:
Get a good DM to help you.

Better yet, start TRAINING some DMCs so you can have some good DMs! :thumb:

MikeFerrara:
NEWWreckDiver:
Wow, this a little harsh don't you think? I am glad you know your material, but everyone has to have their first class and being a little nervous is normal.[/QUOTE\

Harsh how? All I did was describe what works for me.

I am not sure what I was thinking. I just went back read this again and it sounds reasonable to me now.

Actually, It was quite lovely. Sorry.

Glad the class went well! I've only been teaching for a year so I know what you mean about thinking you're forgetting something! Just wait until you start getting a bunch of students with medical problems--AAARGH! Sometimes I think I should go to medical school just so I can decide if a student's doctor is completely clueless when it comes to the dangers of diving. The medical section of this board has been a great help as has scuba-doc.com, research everything is the best advice I can give.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom