first cobra dives!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too love my Cobra.. Been using it for about 1.5 years now and it's great.. Never had a problem.. Do wish it did gas changes though...

the contacts have to be wet for the computer to go into dive mode. it's possible there was a film of some sort from production on the contacts that didn't allow them to get wet enough. If you turn the cobra on, its still not in dive mode til you hit the water (and the water hits the contacts) is my thinking. Since a couple of you have had the same problem and it was on first dives I would say the film on the contacts is definately a possibility. Merry Christmas everyone.

Best piece of advice I have with the Cobra is to get the quick disconnect as well. Easier to protect the unit and much easier to hook up to your PC for d/l than schlepping the whole reg around.

iflyprops:
... I dont think it logged my first dive...on the speigel....Just had to get that out...

Congratulations on your purchase. I have enjoyed mine and trust you will too. I do recommend getting the SUUNTO Dive Manager program and a cable available from SUUNTO or by a member or this board for less.

SUUNTO is a good company to work with and will address any questions you put to them. Yesterday I sent them an e-mail about your situation and here is their replay:

"We had at some point a bug in the production testing software (not the dive computer) which is used to remove the 100m/300ft test dives from memory (all computers are dived to +300ft) before shipment. This could in some cases cause not only the previous but also the next dive to appear “invincible”. The dive is still in memory (as long as the memory hasn’t been filled), and can be brought back with a specially made memory manipulation program and the pc-interface cable."

Not certain if that is the issue here or not, but it is a potential solution. Contact SUUNTO directly and let them chew on it.

Hmmm, the software bug and the film on the contacts are two definite possibilities. However, the computer did go into dive mode right away as it calculated my ndl and all of the other good to know stuff immediately. Thanks for the great info!!! One more question, can you (the consumer) install the qd at the computer, ie not at the first stage? Everyone have a happy and safe new year.

Thanks!

iflyprops:
...One more question, can you (the consumer) install the qd at the computer, ie not at the first stage? Everyone have a happy and safe new year.

Thanks!
There are two types of QD your can buy. I bought the one that disconnects only the computer consol and not the hose. http://www.suunto.com/pls/suunto/suunto2.pubmainpage.frameset

I recommend this one as who wants to cart the hose around. I note on the official SUUNTO website the QD can be installed on either end of the hose. In the picture, just picture your computer sitting on the end of the silver QD. I think the QD is worth the expense and putting it on the computer end is the better option.

Thanks for the info. I definitely planned on putting the qd on the computer end of the hose. It's good to know its the same qd.
Thanks again

I have a Cobra with the QD on the computer itself. This is the only option for an air integrated computer down here. Your kit is normally loaded on the dive boat (RIB) for you - at that stage you are at the mercy of someone who has no concept of the value of your equipment. The same applies for the return trip. I send my gear to the boat without the computer and couple it up once I am seated after the (surf) launch. At the end of the dive, I depressurise the reg set and remove the computer once the boat has landed on the beach.

Another advantage is not having to lug the entire reg set to my PC when I want to download dive data to SDM! Note: Tygh said this first - helps to read page one.

Just remember that the QD can become another failure point. I was reminded of this on my last trip to Mozambique. I became aware on the second dive of a stream of bubbles emanating from the centre of the QD swivel. Back on shore, we stripped the QD down and found that the internal o-ring was pinched on installation during a service by the agents (heard that before?). They had actually assembled the o-ring onto the swivel in the incorrect place. It was a simple job to remove the old o-ring and replace it with a new, lightly lubricated one. Having seen the internals, I could not posssibly justify sending this piece of equipment to the agents for servicing. Especially considering the good job they do...

Enjoy your Cobra - it rocks!

Cheers,

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom