First Computer - Easy to Read Display?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Birdseye

New
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a first dive computer. We bought the Mares M1 for my husband yesterday, and I've been through the manual with it, getting the hang of how it looks and displays.

Can't know how it looks underwater yet, but my first impression is that some of the information (ft/m, C/F, etc) is pretty small. Also the buttons, although getting easier to activate, seem difficult to use.

I'd really appreciate suggestions on a first computer for someone that will be doing strictly recreational, tropical diving. I've searched & looked through posts here, been to local dive shops, etc., but I'm still overwhelmed with all that's available. The shops, obviously, all recommend what they carry as the best.

I'd like a console mount, preferably with separate depth gauge. Primary importance to me is an easy-to read display with large (yes, getting to that stage!) numerals and easy to use controls that are fairly intuitive. Not tiny buttons, or ones that have to be held down varying amounts of time to enter various modes (Mares).

I'd like to have current & max depth constantly displayed (unlike Mares M1, which switches back & forth automatically), along w/no decompression time. The basics.

And I'd like it to be a good reliable brand that isn't well-known for malfunctions.

Also, as my dive partner has a more conservative model, ideally I'd like to have one that's more conservative also - and would anyway. Everyone says get Nitrox - someday you'll thank yourself. I don't know if we'll ever dive Nitrox.

Also, what are most reliable sources to order online? We buy most gear from our dive shop, but I'm considering ordering computer myself.

I'd really welcome any suggestions - I know that many of you dispense the same advice over and over, and I feel bad asking one more time - but I am! Thanks for any input; it will all be sincerely appreciated.

Birdseye:
I'm trying to decide on a first dive computer. We bought the Mares M1 for my husband yesterday, and I've been through the manual with it, getting the hang of how it looks and displays.

Can't know how it looks underwater yet, but my first impression is that some of the information (ft/m, C/F, etc) is pretty small. Also the buttons, although getting easier to activate, seem difficult to use.

I'd really appreciate suggestions on a first computer for someone that will be doing strictly recreational, tropical diving. I've searched & looked through posts here, been to local dive shops, etc., but I'm still overwhelmed with all that's available. The shops, obviously, all recommend what they carry as the best.

I'd like a console mount, preferably with separate depth gauge. Primary importance to me is an easy-to read display with large (yes, getting to that stage!) numerals and easy to use controls that are fairly intuitive. Not tiny buttons, or ones that have to be held down varying amounts of time to enter various modes (Mares).

I'd like to have current & max depth constantly displayed (unlike Mares M1, which switches back & forth automatically), along w/no decompression time. The basics.

And I'd like it to be a good reliable brand that isn't well-known for malfunctions.

Also, as my dive partner has a more conservative model, ideally I'd like to have one that's more conservative also - and would anyway. Everyone says get Nitrox - someday you'll thank yourself. I don't know if we'll ever dive Nitrox.

Also, what are most reliable sources to order online? We buy most gear from our dive shop, but I'm considering ordering computer myself.

I'd really welcome any suggestions - I know that many of you dispense the same advice over and over, and I feel bad asking one more time - but I am! Thanks for any input; it will all be sincerely appreciated.

I am by far no expert, but as far as Nitrox goes, there really is no downside to it. All it does is give you longer no deco time. The class isnt very difficult either. I highly recommend it.

A suunto vyper will probably fit your requirements. It displays max and average depth, NDL and dive time on the display along with ascent rate. You should see if the display is large enough for you to read or not, but I haven't had any problems with it. You usually don't have any need to be hitting the buttons when you're u/w. It is also pretty conservative.

Well you really should dive the same computer as your husband - otherwise you're going to run into differences in conservativeness (sp?) you've already thought of. I would have recommended the Vyper as well - is it too late to take the M1 back??? The large format Suunto computers (Cobra, Gekko, Vyper, Vytec) are all easy to read underwater, and are *very* popular.

Birdseye:

Try looking at the Cochran Commander, it's upgradable if you want it, large display, easy to read, adjustable conservatism, huge memory capacity. Web site is divecochran.com

getwet2:
Try looking at the Cochran Commander, it's upgradable if you want it, large display, easy to read, adjustable conservatism, huge memory capacity. Web site is divecochran.com
I'll second that..

for basic air or nitox diving the commander is hard to beat.. The display is one of the easiest to read I have ever used (the easiest is probably the Old USD Monitor II (about 12 years ago) )
There are only 2 screens underwater, most info is on the primary display... to switch screens and activate the backlight just tap the dive computer..

the backlight activates, gives you a few seconds to read the first screen, then switches to the second screen, and eventually back to the first..

If you dont mind burning batteries the cochran has a unique function where you can force the baclight always on...

If you don't use a color correcting mask (pink lenses) I suggest you get the RED backlight its great on night dives and doesn't kill your night vision...

for dive logging its unbeatable.. the standard version is something like 200 hours, the expanded version is 550 hours at 1 second intervals.. they also keep a few hundred dives in memory (date/time max depth temp) and track total # of dives and dive time... If you ever have to prove experience to a dive boat you have it on your wrist...

Scubaroo:
Hmmm had a buddy with a Cochran and it spent more time in the diveshop getting "upgrades" than on his wrist.

Cochran had some problems about 7 years ago, with 2 specific models.. the captain and commanders have never had any issues and are probably the most reliable computers I have ever seen.. (I accidentally ran over my commander with my jeep and it still worked fine)

I personally would stay away from ALL AI computers.. they are too tempermental....

I own an Oceanic Veo 200. I have about 15 dives on it and I love it! It is nitrox compatable, so that should not be a problem. Also, I have no problems reading the display. If you click this link, you should be able to demo it online (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/2004/p_computers_veo200_demo.html) The size they show you is actual size, so if you can read that, you should have no problems. Hope this helps. Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom