First Deep and First Wreck dives :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all!

I'm going on my first deep and my my first wreck dive tomorrow :) they're my final 2 dives to get to my AOW done. I'm really excited and can't wait to get it done... I'll be in Fujeirah so prob Incheon 2 / Incheon 2 since that's what they did the last time I couldn't go (had a cold and super stuffy nose).

Anything to look out for? Other than my air and narcosis effect?

I'd love some general tips and some Fujeirah specific tips too please!!

C

Wear gloves and a full wet suit as you are perfecting buoyancy you don't want to have a brain fart and bump into something sharp. Make sure your diving kit is tidy so nothing dangling or sticking way out. Have a plan and have fun. Wreck diving is awesome and if you like it there are many great wrecks around the world. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks abscuba! Yeah the only thing kinda scaring me is the buoyancy since I'm not too good at it. As far as the wetsuit goes, I'm not sure what they'll have us wear since it's pretty warm in UAE still but the water is cooling. Maybe a shorty? Anyway, I'll find out tomorrow hehe

It does take time for good buoyancy to develop and even longer for it to become second nature. It is one of the most important skills a diver can have and even after 15 years of diving I will be on deco stops still focusing to ever perfect buoyancy. A full wet suit is not a requirement that is more technique from having been inside and around many many wrecks and I have had my brain fart moments where I bumped into something. On your AOW you won't be penetrating that is much farther down the road so it will be less of an issue. The biggest mistake I see newer divers make it having their gear all over the place, which is a bad habit not matter the type of diving only on wreck the wreck will often let you know when it finds something. Entanglement is a hazard on wrecks and the best way to mitigate that is to have your kit tidy and streamlined so everything has a place nothing is just hanging into the water stream. If you are on rental gear it is harder to do as you can change their gear, however as you start acquiring gear you can start to work out where things fit best and set your kit up to you. This will make it more comfortable in the water, more efficient you will notice it takes less energy to move in the water, and around wrecks there is less to get caught on things. You will have fun wrecks are great dives and y'all have some good ones in Dubai.

Your deep dive will probably be on Inchcape1 (30 m.) and your wreck will probably be on Inchcape 2 (23 m). Watch out for the nice nudibranchs on both. There used to be a massive seahorse on IC1 - maybe still around? IC1 is more exposed to currents but these normally are much more pronounced above the 15 m.

You'll have a great time - enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@abscuba: Already started acquiring :) got a jacket style aqualung LT BCD and 2 sets of regs (ATX40 set w/DS4 and XTX50+Egress w/DST), and got the fins and Oceanic VT4.1 computer :) a mix of used and new stuff...

@MasterChief Haha, I've got Korea on my mind I think... I was sure Incheon seemed wrong... Yes usually Inchcape 2/1 but depends on a few things I think. The last time they did IC2/2. The seahorse is still there!!! My partner got to see him! Huge he told me (that was around 6 weeks ago towards the end of Ramadan). Do you dive in Dubai?

Good to know it's still there!

I lived in the UAE for a decade and was diving every w/e (the rate between east vs. west coast was 10/1). Back in the UK for a year now; missing diving in the UAE/Oman - have to contain myself when my UAE dive buddies complain about 22 C water being cold :) Funny how I used to complain, as well... Now I only dive in the UAE when I come on vacation.

@Masterchief IC 1/2 it seems! I'll let you know how it goes... Help you reminisce an tease you bit [emoji23]

Last edited:
Eagerly awaiting - enjoy the dives!

@Masterchief, yes the seahorse still lives there. No I didn't see him :( karma got me back haha I was a little worried that I wouldn't equalize at the lower depths but all went well and I'm happy! I'm AOW now!! One weird thing did happen though... The ATX40 did free flow when I first got in the water and the instructors said its normal and I should put it face down... Then when I got back to their LDS, the opened up an aqualung Reg and explained the parts... I'm still kinda disappointed that an Apeks would do that. Should I return them? They're new...

Also, the IC1/2 are exactly the same dive!! Hehe same boat sunk 2ce... Some more experienced divers were a little disappointed. I don't think I got any narcosis because I was quite focused and stuff but I did a few tingles in IC1 (first dive) on my left elbow and right knee. The instructor laughed it off and said its some kind of microscopic animal that bit me and not Decompression sickness setting in. I'm fine now so I guess he's right.

My insta-buddy jumped right in to pee after he put his tank on for the second dive so we didn't get to do the safety check. 14 mins in he ended up running out because his tank was leaking and had a problem (kept on leaking after he switched it off when we got to the boat too, the staff was a little surprised). But the instructor took him and gave him his octo so he doesn't lose the dive. And we ended up making a 30 min dive :)

Other than that I think all went well! The water was very nice with a thermocline at 12m and it got cold quick!! Was cool though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom