First dive went pretty wrong, there's a lesson here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easily Amused

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hubby & I are brand spankin' new divers; we were certified in an Ohio quarry just in time for a short trip to Key Largo.

I was so excited in the Keys that I could hardly stand it, we'd worked so hard to be there & to be ready to dive. We had a 45 min boat ride out to North Dry Rocks in choppy water (2'-3' waves). Everything was still fine, I couldn't wait to get under. The other 2 divers on the boat went 1 way, DH & I went another ~ all by ourselves. We were very absorbed in the whole experience until 30 min into the dive when I started to feel sick. I motioned to go up and got the universal "What the Heck" (arms out, shrugged shoulders). Again, I told him I was going up and got the same response :confused:. We were at 18' so I decided to go up myself when it happened. I chummed my reg. Fortunately, just the week before, my instructor's dive buddy had told us about her reg-chumming experience so I knew it could be done and I didn't panic. I don't know how I would have handled it if her story hadn't stuck in my mind.

We went up, I got settled, we went back down and headed toward the boat. But it happened again 10 minutes later. This time, I found a spot of sand and stood on the ocean floor dry heaving (talk about over breathing a reg). When we got back up, the boat cptn. was signaling "OK?" and dratted hubby signaled back "YES, OK" . I could have killed him, I wasn't up for a swim. They dragged my up into the boat where I lay like a corpse with my head on someone's dive bag for the rest of the trip.

So, it's true. You can throw up through your reg. It's a horrible, unpleasant experience that I hope you never, ever have to go through, but it can be done. Even by a very inexperienced diver.

I can't wait to try again ~ I've got the patch just in case.

This too shall pass... Enjoy it.

My wife got sick with the reg in her mouth once as well. Now she can hardly stay out of the water! For her, it was just a bout with seasickness combined with her first dive jitters.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

lol...hopefully your next time out will be better. The weather gods haven't been smiling upon us the last couple of days.

Go to Walmarts. In the pharmacy section you'll find a little bottle with the name "Equate for Motion Sickness" with about 100 little white pills. Buy these and a day before you go diving the next time take three of these little pills and keep on taking them, one in the morning, one in the early afternoon and one in the evening till the last day you will be diving. No problemo. Believe me, this will be the best three dollars you ever spent.

Go to Walmarts. In the pharmacy section you'll find a little bottle with the name "Equate for Motion Sickness" with about 100 little white pills. Buy these and a day before you go diving the next time take three of these little pills and keep on taking them, one in the morning, one in the early afternoon and one in the evening till the last day you will be diving. No problemo. Believe me, this will be the best three dollars you ever spent.

For those who may not have access to this particlar brand, do you know what the active ingredient(s) is/are?

"Each tablet contains: 50mg Dimenhydrinate
Purpose: Antiemetic
Safe for children and adults."

Works for me, I think. I've never been seasick but didn't want to find out. So the first time I went out on a boat I started taking them. I've never had a problem with pukeing in or out of the water. I've seen lots of experience divers throwing their guts up and feeling really miserable while losing their dives and saying: "Man, this is the first time I've had this problem. I was in the Navy for 16 years and never got sick." Or something like that. Different story altogether in a small boat.

I'd say you did perfectly. You kept your head and did not panic - that's the thing that can get you into trouble (I suppose hubby is in a bit himself :wink: ).

You handled it perfectly - you didn't feel well - so you aborted the dive - you informed your 'buddy' that you needed to surface and you went.

Sounds like you are going to be fine and have a great diving future.

I would say well done! :D

Standing on the bottom dry heaving huh:shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

Sorry things went wrong. Looking at the bright side, it only gets better from here.

And if that hasn't dampened your enthusiasm you will make one hell of a diver...Welcome to the club!

Great job on not panicking, doing all your dives in a quarry and then going out on a boat in choppy seas can be an eye opening experience..at least you didnt give up diving after that experience

One word of advice, if you think you have some time, switch to your Octopus if you think you might hurl... :) This should be self explanatory...

Back
Top Bottom