First dive went pretty wrong, there's a lesson here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a chance to try again, with advance preparation this time. Meclizine the night before and the morning of a 2 tank drift dive in West Palm Beach with some ginger thrown in for good measure. I did get a little nervous when I heard "4'-6' waves" on the morning news, but I ate my dry toast and headed to the marina. I was chatting with a newly certified 12 year old girl as we boated out of the protected waters, thinking "Hey,this isn't so bad" when the first wave hit the boat. And then the next one and the next....

See, I'm from central Ohio. Boating isn't something I've done. Holding on to this pitching rocking boat while fixating on the horizon trying to not get sick (didn't spew btw, one of the few) was a real challenge. But the only time I noticed my tummy was when I had to break my concentration on the horizon and look down to mess with my gear. Once underwater it was, as you all know, totally worth the ride. Getting back on the boat was done with no grace whatsoever, but I managed. Hubby switched my gear for me during the SI before he fed the fish.

Turns out the waves were more in the 6'-8' range and the capt'n said he wouldn't have gone out if he'd known it was that bad (isn't that his JOB?). I told him it made us stronger divers.

I think I'll keep the meclizine and ginger close, but knowing I can handle 6'-8' waves for 6 hours, I won't worry so much anymore.

I know the 12 year old didn't have a good experience, I hope the dive was great enough to overcome the boat ride and get her back in the water. I didn't get to talk to her again.

Ewww..... I just puked reading the post : )

Seriously, you handled a bad situation very well; you did not panic - really, you did very well.

And we should all remember the great advise that if you get sick in your primary, switch to your octo/safe 2nd - great suggestion

PS Wether it was 4 - 6, or 6 - 8 foot seas- if you are a new diver, suseptable to mal de mer, bag the diving for that day - just is not worth it. I know, easy for me to say; I live in S Fl - if I was on vacation, I know I'd probably risk it, but not if they were calling for more than 3 - 5.

Aside from the uncomfortability factor, with those size waves, its dangerous getting back on the boat. Plus, in shallow places like the Keys, (I know you were in PB County), the surge is terrible when its that rough - you can feel it on the bottom 30 - 40 feet below.

Not excusing the captain, but one of the problems is getting an accurate "near shore" forecast -

6 and 8-footers are nothing but fantastic fun.

It gets better.

I might suggest that the sea-sickness got to you a bit on the way out. Take motion sickness medication the night before, and the morning-of, before you go out.

Eat a LIGHT meal before you dive, especially if the seas are choppy. Many of the places in the Keys are in protected harbor, and you don't know how rough it will be until you get out in the ocean. Try and stay away from the boat's exhaust fumes, too (which is too bad, since the most gentle ride out is in the stern).

You might want to tell your "buddy" that when you aren't well, not to signal the "okay" when you aren't. Let him tow you in next time!!!

Good job for doing what was discussed in class.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with mal de mer, but my son did -- we had to abort one dive the last time we went. Pumped him full of Bonine and he was fine the rest of the trip.

Bonine is part of my save-a-dive kit. The blister-packed tablets have a reasonable shelf life and the name-brand ones are chewable tablets as well, which comes in handy.

Re keeping the regulator in. By all means yes, but since I'm going back to using a double hose, I'm going to make every effort to switch to my octo before the "event." Cleaning up the hoses of a 2 hose would be no fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom