first dives after OW Fla keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ivansie

Reaction score
My wife and I are going on our first dives after certification this sunday. We are planning on going to the keys (key largo or tavernier) for a sunday afternoon 2 tank. We have checked with some operators on prices, services, etc and we are leaning more towards using one with small boats (no more than 10 people) instead of larger ones with big diving/snorkeling crowds.

Any recommendations on an specific operator??

Any recommendations on how to handle these first dives??

If somebody from the Florida area is going to be over there on sunday and had schedule with someone already we will be pleased to have the chance to meet them and maybe consider
diving at the same location... its always good to meet local fellow divers..:)

regards,

on your own sould be w/a good DM (dive master). I live in Jax & we (Peat Bogg) dive w/Diver City USA @ Gilbert's Resort in Largo. They're @ MM 107.... I think. They are on Jewfish creek, @ the base of the begging......... Ok... here's the link to my site & you can look for yourself & there's a link as well. They take 10 max. & charge $50 for a 2 tank dive. Ask for French reef or the Benwood wreck. There's not much left of the Benwood, but the depth on both are from max 30-70'. They both TEAM with fish.
If this is truly your 1st OW dive out of class, you may want to get a few dives in before tackling the USS Spiegel Grove. It's a very popular new wreck dive in the Keys, but it's kinda advanced. The currents tend to be rippin', in several different directions @ the same time. So ou may want to wait a until you're alot more comfy in the water.

http://thumper.wox.org/dive_sites.htm

hope you have a Great time!

I have to refute much of what was said in the first reply. I have 10 years experience as a dive boat captain in Key Largo so I do have my reasons for saying this.

I don't feel that you need to have a DM on your first dives. You're certified, presumably you learned well. Just do shallow dives and practice what you learned. The Benwood is a good suggestion, there's a LOT left of her. Not a lot intact maybe but many tons of wreckage. Max depth 45' on wreck, mostly 20-30' .

French reef sucks. On average the worst viz of any Key Largo reef, mostly dead coral, also portions are too deep for your level. Molasses is far better on all counts.

Stay well away from the Speigel Grove until you've done this a few times. I've done her 6 times and have yet to see much current there. The spot she's in is NOT prone to high currents (unlike the Bibb and Duane sites) but you can get current anywhere in the area. You're nowhere near ready for that dive.

I recommend either Quiessence or Divers City for small group diving. Quiessence is 6-packs, DC runs small groups on a bit larger boat. Both are good shops.

Tom

You will be pleased with the diving from either opererators that were mentioned. I have used them both. See my dive report here on Scuba Board. The Benwood is a good dive. Other good reef dives are Davis Reef or Hens and Chickens.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t16032/s.html

Thanks for both your replies. Actually I was offered the SG a couple of times and promptly declined because I feel we should do more diving before going and really enjoying that dive.

I had the Benwood on the list since it seems suitable for our experience. As per dive operations besides the 2 that you just mentioned we have a couple of others we are considering. I will appreciatte any input on those other operators:

captainslates/atlantis
bluewaterdiver
islandreefdiver

I think they are all small boat operators which is what has been recommended to us

regards

WreckWriter once bubbled...
I don't feel that you need to have a DM on your first dives. You're certified, presumably you learned well. Just do shallow dives and practice what you learned. The Benwood is a good suggestion, there's a LOT left of her. Not a lot intact maybe but many tons of wreckage. Max depth 45' on wreck, mostly 20-30' .

French reef sucks. On average the worst viz of any Key Largo reef, mostly dead coral, also portions are too deep for your level. Molasses is far better on all counts.
Tom

I guess I should have been a bit more SPECIFIC. When I say DM, I dove w/Diver City on the Spiegel Labor Day weekend 3 times & 2 different DMs. They both just hung out & watched. They don't guide you, they're just there incase of a problem. The current on 2 of the 3 times I went were an average of 3-4 knots @ the morring. If you let go... you were going for a long ride. But I agree with Wreck Writer, Stay away from the "Grove" for now.

As far as the Benwood, I meant there's not alot of structure you can point @ & say "Hey, this is the door to the lower deck". But you're right WW, there's ALOt of mass there. There is also a resident nurse shark there as well.

Now I had a good time @ French. I had 40-50' visibility there. I saw alot of fish including a few sharks & swam w/pod or small school of 7 HUGE Spade fish. Now I have been there when you couldn't see 10-15', but your Cptn. should know the conditions when you get there.

ivansie once bubbled...
Thanks for both your replies. Actually I was offered the SG a couple of times and promptly declined because I feel we should do more diving before going and really enjoying that dive.

I had the Benwood on the list since it seems suitable for our experience. As per dive operations besides the 2 that you just mentioned we have a couple of others we are considering. I will appreciatte any input on those other operators:

captainslates/atlantis
bluewaterdiver
islandreefdiver

I think they are all small boat operators which is what has been recommended to us

regards

Slate runs big boats. He's a good shop but if you want small groups he may not your best best. The other 2 must be new, I've never heard of either.

STAY AWAY FROM CATTLE BOATS!!! :)

No Realy. Slates runs a large boat & there can be upwards of 25 people on that boat. Stay w/the smaller bigger boats that only take 10-12 divers. One thing I realy liked about Divers City was that they use OMS LP Steel 85's w/DIN plugs for those who dive DIN. don't know anything about the others.

You're correct Wreck. I've been dropped on French before & I was about ready to get back on the boat. I didn't know you were a boat Cptn. though. My buddy & I are on track to start getting into some deep tech wrec, but we want to get our cave out of the way.

thethumper once bubbled...
STAY AWAY FROM CATTLE BOATS!!! :)

No Realy. Slates runs a large boat & there can be upwards of 25 people on that boat. Stay w/the smaller bigger boats that only take 10-12 divers. One thing I realy liked about Divers City was that they use OMS LP Steel 85's w/DIN plugs for those who dive DIN. don't know anything about the others.

You're correct Wreck. I've been dropped on French before & I was about ready to get back on the boat. I didn't know you were a boat Cptn. though. My buddy & I are on track to start getting into some deep tech wrec, but we want to get our cave out of the way.

I ran for Ocean Divers for about 4 years, also the Dive Shop at Ocean Reef for another 4, various other stuff for the other 2.

As for "cattle boats", that type of arrangement is best for some divers. Yea, Slate runs big trips. He's a great guy and runs a good operation though.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom