First doubles dive today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too am working on barrel rolls and swimming on my back/side not quite perfect yet but im close

Jim is about half way there. I have two sets of X7-100s for boat dives, two sets of Faber LP 95s for cave dives and 2 sets of steel 72s with vintage manifolds for vintage dives.

Halfway? Hardly! 2 sets of twin 74.5's, 2 sets twin 98's, 2 sets twin AL80's 1 set twin E8-119's. Not to mention the stages, deco and 15 storage bottles. Plus half a garage of various single tanks and my SO's gear. I am not even sure where half of this crap came from and I really dread my hydro bill.

Jeff

It's technique more than anything else - once you get used to it, you don't even notice it.
Somehow, I doubt technique is going to make much difference when walking 30-50 yards uphill with double X7-100s. 70lbs is 70lbs, technique isn't going to change it, and that doesn't take manifolds, plate, lead, or other gear into consideration.

I am not a big fan of a shoulder dump on a doubles wing. As you discovered you can accidently dump and if it ever breaks or fails, you have a serious leak high in the wing with no ability to trap any residual gas in the wing.
**snip***
Long term, you can replace the shoulder dump assembly with a simple elbow from who ever made the wing - or swap it with the one on your old BC - the fittings are probably compatible in the BC and wing.
Yes, I know. These wings came with the tanks, and I didn't look closely at the elbow. After years without a dump, it just didn't occur to me to look. And no, I'm not sacrificing my Mach V just to support the doubles. I'll disconnect the dump cable temporarily, and invest in an elbow (or maybe a new wing) in the near future. I was just disappointed in 'eating' ~1800psi in an hour (60ffw).

***edit
SAC was ~.69 due to loss

Last edited:
I Just got a pair of twin AL80's after diving single Steel 130's. WOW what a difference. I feel much more comfortable with the twins than with the single. I'm now thinking of twinning my pair of 130's just to see how that goes (heavy). I'm really waiting to get a good deal on a pair of steel 100's anyone got some? Was a very easy change over for me. I dive a SS SS halcyon BP & 55lb lift wing (doubles) / 40lb lift eclipse wing (single) and a drysuit. Boyancy was tricky at first but was easy to sort out.

Funny timing for a thread.
I just did my first doubles dive with independant twins and felt comfortable right away. The tanks sit closer than a single on a STA so I felt more stable. There wasn't really an issue with barrel rolling either. The funny part was having to purge about 2000psi after diving for an hour so I could dial in my lead.
Al 80's in DIY tank bands, a DIY SS BP and 32lb Apeks wing.

Gonna need a P valve...

Oh, I can so relate to the comment about drooling over doubles for sale! We have two sets of 72s, a set of 85s (and I want another one) and two sets of HP100s. And we STILL run into the problem that the tanks we want to dive have the wrong mix in them.

I really prefer diving doubles, but I disagree with DAA (a rare occurrence). There is nothing on earth or in Heaven that can happen that will make me not NOTICE carrying more than my body's weight worth of gear uphill.

There is nothing on earth or in Heaven that can happen that will make me not NOTICE carrying more than my body's weight worth of gear uphill.

Youch!

I just got my first set of doubles too (lp 85s) and will be getting them wet this Wed. I can't wait, I have been looking forward to this ever since I got certified. Before I was diving a single al100.

Interesting topic. Doubles are one of those things that I just don't get other than in a situation where they are just absolutely required.

I do get the advantages that are usually listed (ability to do multiple dives, more stable, better redundancy,etc) but to me they just don't out weigh the disadvantages.

Especially for anyone who shore dives, has a smaller vehicle, and/or dives from smaller boats or has anything less than a perfect back!

Especially for anyone who shore dives, has a smaller vehicle, and/or dives from smaller boats or has anything less than a perfect back!

Well...they don't roll around on you. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom