First DPV - Your recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too - am in the market for my first DPV. For my wife. Her kick is a little weak. This will help her keep up with me while I am chasing nemo. I am thinkin that this DPV will get used about ~25 times a year in 20'-60' depth.

I was thinking of just getting her
a seadoo vs supercharge for $500
or
a generic for $125

Money is not issue but I seriously need some QUICK convincing/educating as to why I should spend $3500 for the X. Don't want to miss out on that group buy should I decide to go with the X.

If money is not an issue...I'd go for performance and reliability. It doesn't have to be the X (which is at the top of continuum), and it certainly shouldn't be a bottom drawer scooter which equates to "binning." The middle might be something like a nice used Mako. Enough power, reliability and speed to make it worthwhile. The X is really for those who need a technical tool day in and day out. Gorgeous engineering.

I too - am in the market for my first DPV. For my wife. Her kick is a little weak. This will help her keep up with me while I am chasing nemo. I am thinkin that this DPV will get used about ~25 times a year in 20'-60' depth.

I was thinking of just getting her
a seadoo vs supercharge for $500
or
a generic for $125

Money is not issue but I seriously need some QUICK convincing/educating as to why I should spend $3500 for the X. Don't want to miss out on that group buy should I decide to go with the X.

Theres a lot of things to consider in a scooter. Noise - the very cheap ones will be a higher rpm motor with a gear reduction to make up for the lack of torque, so they will be loud. My Makos aren't too loud but you're definitely listening to it as you ride along. From what I understand, the brushless X is quieter.

If she just needs to keep up with you, one advantage of the X is that, with the brushless motor and electronic speed control, there is on the fly "shifting", or selecting the power output of scooter (5 selectable speeds). The brushed scooters are either on, or off (although the blade pitch can be adjusted, as it can on the X).

Like someone a few posts up mentioned, resale is excellent on the X. You don't see them on the market too often, and a used Sierra (current model) with a used battery will go for over $3000 (I've seen them advertised $3200-3500). With our group discount, you can get a new one, with full 3 year warranty for $3390. So you have nothing to lose. The resale on one of those Sea-Doos, or generics, will be pretty low, especially if it floods or breaks, which it probably will do as they are made cheaply. They really are "toys", and are not in the same category as the X and the 24v scooters.

Any scooter in a similar performance range (Tekna, Mako, SS, Gavin) is going to be heavier, by a good margin. I think the Makos are in the 60 lbs range, the closest competitor to the X that I know of, the SS N-19 (also NiMH, but brushed motor), is 50 lbs. The X is 35. And displacement in water (ie: size) is going to be proportional to weight. So the X is smaller & lighter, by a wide margin. If you get the travel kit, you get hard sided containers for the scooter and battery, and the scooter case packed weighs in a little over 50 lbs, which makes it viable for air travel.

Now if you are planning on getting a (real) scooter, here is what is going to happen. You're going to try it out and not be able to wipe the smile off your face. They are FUN! They are a blast to ride, but you're quickly going to realize the limitations of whichever scooter, and if you're anything like me, you're probably going to want to upgrade. Since X is pretty much top of the line, so theres nowhere to go after that. We'll have to figure out how to tweak some more thrust out of hte X maybe, till we're going so fast our masks are ripped off and all our regs are free-flowing. SO... I think you should do yourself and your wife a favor, and considering that money is no object, you should buy two of them with the deluxe travel kit! :D

Rob

Looks like someone's been bit by the scooter bug...

The Mo Cal (Monterey) Scooter pushers have been very successful in seducing many a visiting diver into getting their own... Seems like only a dive or two is all they need to catch the fever!

Theres a lot of things to consider in a scooter. Noise - the very cheap ones will be a higher rpm motor with a gear reduction to make up for the lack of torque, so they will be loud. My Makos aren't too loud but you're definitely listening to it as you ride along. From what I understand, the brushless X is quieter.

If she just needs to keep up with you, one advantage of the X is that, with the brushless motor and electronic speed control, there is on the fly "shifting", or selecting the power output of scooter (5 selectable speeds). The brushed scooters are either on, or off (although the blade pitch can be adjusted, as it can on the X).

Like someone a few posts up mentioned, resale is excellent on the X. You don't see them on the market too often, and a used Sierra (current model) with a used battery will go for over $3000 (I've seen them advertised $3200-3500). With our group discount, you can get a new one, with full 3 year warranty for $3390. So you have nothing to lose. The resale on one of those Sea-Doos, or generics, will be pretty low, especially if it floods or breaks, which it probably will do as they are made cheaply. They really are "toys", and are not in the same category as the X and the 24v scooters.

Any scooter in a similar performance range (Tekna, Mako, SS, Gavin) is going to be heavier, by a good margin. I think the Makos are in the 60 lbs range, the closest competitor to the X that I know of, the SS N-19 (also NiMH, but brushed motor), is 50 lbs. The X is 35. And displacement in water (ie: size) is going to be proportional to weight. So the X is smaller & lighter, by a wide margin. If you get the travel kit, you get hard sided containers for the scooter and battery, and the scooter case packed weighs in a little over 50 lbs, which makes it viable for air travel.

Now if you are planning on getting a (real) scooter, here is what is going to happen. You're going to try it out and not be able to wipe the smile off your face. They are FUN! They are a blast to ride, but you're quickly going to realize the limitations of whichever scooter, and if you're anything like me, you're probably going to want to upgrade. Since X is pretty much top of the line, so theres nowhere to go after that. We'll have to figure out how to tweak some more thrust out of hte X maybe, till we're going so fast our masks are ripped off and all our regs are free-flowing. SO... I think you should do yourself and your wife a favor, and considering that money is no object, you should buy two of them with the deluxe travel kit! :D

Rob

You can hear both scooters in the water - X and Mako. While, the brushless is a tad more quiet, you still do hear it. The loudest would be the Aquazepp...click, click, click. The Mako comes in around 50 lbs. The X - is in the 35-38 range with the buoyancy weights for the nose and tail area. The traveling case for the X is a big mother. It'll comes in at over 50 lbs. If you're traveling on an airplane expect to pay extra for heavy luggage.

The fastest scooters I have tried have all been Submersions and some "special" Gavins. The X is swift, but not as swift as an out-of-the-box SS...but the real beauty of the X is that it is extremely manueverable both underwater and topside. A big consideration. The difference in speed is never any biggie with a mid, to upper range performance scooter.

As mentioned, getting two is always a good idea. One for spouse, or two for those special dives where redundancy is necessary.

Togsan than for the unbias pointers. It does makes sense.

X-Scooter does makes a fine scooter. At least according to what's on paper. Not to mention all the positive owner's feedbacks.

Since I have absoutely no intention of tech diving or zooming around while underwater. IMHO - that might be dangerous due to accidental quick asend. Bottomline is the X-scooter might be an over kill / unneccessary purchase for what my true needs are. That money for the X-scooter(s) might be better sitting in a high yield CD instead.

I think I will just get one of those sea doo "toy" DPV. Base on the limited reviews - I am sure it is sufficent enough for the specific task I am wanting. Simply to help my wife keep up with me while we slowly swim around shallow reef and shallow wrecks.

Good call. The See Doo is not a toy.

Have fun, forget the board types who want to go on and on about their X or some other overpriced and over rated scooter.

Good call. The See Doo is not a toy.

Have fun, forget the board types who want to go on and on about their X or some other overpriced and over rated scooter.

Well he did say money was no object. Besides, aren't they all toys?

Rob

I think I will just get one of those sea doo "toy" DPV. Base on the limited reviews - I am sure it is sufficent enough for the specific task I am wanting. Simply to help my wife keep up with me while we slowly swim around shallow reef and shallow wrecks.

If you like your wife at all I would stay away from the Sea Doo Standard or the GTI. Both of those units have not shown to be that dependable and not one of the GTI's I have been around have lasted more than a couple of dives at best. I have no complaints on the others. Just the GTI and Standard which imho are nothing but short lived pool toys.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom