first drysuit dive today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just when I was getting comfortable with all my gear and diving style, I had to go and complicate it. The thing I thought would be the most trouble...neck seal making me puke... turned out to be a non issue once I got used to it. In the water I didn't even think about it. I had plenty of other things to concentrate on. This was a Padi class so I had to do all the skills. No big deal, until he said ok remove your bcd and put it back on...in the water. you may think this is not that big a deal. Try doing it wearing a single tank on a bp/w with continuous webbing and a long hose, on your first dry suit dive. I had weights on my upper cam strap which complicated it also. That was one of the most difficult chores I have ever had to do, But I did it. I almost got everything back where it belonged.

it was such a strange sensation to step into the water and feel the temperature change and not get wet. I like it.then there was the feet first ascent. I normally dive in all positions exploring things and what not so being upside down didn't bother me. feeling like someone had a rope on my feet and was pulling me to the surface was annoying. Only because I like to be in control at all times. I was amazed at how much effort it took to roll out of it.

I think the most shocking thing was how conscious I had to be of my feet floating. I had to constantly be correcting my gas pocket because it was so persistent on going to my feet. Any time I would stop and hover to look at something , there it goes again. Don't even think about practicing my reverse kick. I was constantly forcing my feet down to shift the gas around. I hope this gets more natural and automatic with practice. I just refuse to wear ankle weights because I want to learn the proper way. I'm stubborn like that.

The surface interval was absolutely terrific, not all wet and cold. actually I had virtually no leaks at all. At the end of almost two hours of dive time after skills I was completely dry. This Amazed me(and the instructor). I think the most interesting part of the day was at the end when I unzipped the drysuit and let the air back in. It was like going from being vacuum packed then turning into a marshmallow. Very interesting. At the end of the day I was told I did extremely well. I looked very relaxed and comfortable. I sure had him fooled.

all in all a fun day of diving and once again more things to work on.

I just refuse to wear ankle weights because I want to learn the proper way. I'm stubborn like that.
Ankle weights = another tool to optimize weight distribution
There's nothing wrong with using ankle weights. Some people find them helpful. Even if you don't end up using them in the long run, they can come in handy as a tank weight or as an aid for helping newer divers work out their weight distribution.

Glad to hear that you had so much fun diving dry. Enjoy!

Nice post. Try keeping just a little less air in the suit (if possible) and there will be a smaller bubble to move around and to have to deal with.

Sounds like you did a very good job for your first drysuit dive!

If you have a good, proper fitting drysuit, feet up issues should not concern you much when you get used to diving it. If it remains an issue you can always opt for gaiters. I would put weights in just for the sake of a good weight distribution.

I just refuse to wear ankle weights because I want to learn the proper way. I'm stubborn like that.

There is no such thing as the 'proper way' when diving. Anyone who says that there is only one way to do things is telling you fibs. Some people need ankle weights, that's all there is to it. I fail to see what the big deal about them is and instead am constantly amused by posters telling people to try heavy fins or try gaiters to solve floaty feet issues. I don't get why these are so much more 'proper' than ankle weights, especially the heavy fins.

The weights on your cam strap only work as long as you have the backplate on. Once you remove it, your buoyancy changes. I found that out the hard way.

Dry suits are cool. Nothing better than coming up on a surface interval and being dry on a winter day. Glad you enjoyed it.

Ankle weights = training wheels. Just kidding.

Were you using your dry suit to control your buoyancy, or your bcd?

The PADI book says to use the dry suit for buoyancy. I started with that but ended up trying a combination of suit and bcd. Then I tried using only the bcd. I quickly learned what a suit squeeze is. Hmmm there are a few places a guy just doesn't want to be squeezed in that manner.

Hope I didn't offend anyone with the ankle weight issue. I just prefer wearing as little weight as possible and it seems to me ankle weights would be something more to move taking effort and using more air.

Hope I didn't offend anyone with the ankle weight issue. I just prefer wearing as little weight as possible and it seems to me ankle weights would be something more to move taking effort and using more air.

Thanks for posting!

I find wearing as little weight as possible isn't as warm as wearing "excess" weight. There are pros and cons.

Also, slightly reducing air consumption is less important to me than being trimmed well, so I use ankle weights. I use thick foot insulation and keep lots of air in my boots for warmth, so they are floaty. I've employed other techniques to adjust the trim and found that ankle weights were still necessary with my usual heavy insulation, but not needed with lighter insulation.

Again, there will be advantages and disadvantages for many of the drysuit techniques, not to mention plain old personal preference. I'd suggest keeping open-minded and just do some experimenting. :D

Enjoy the warmth! :)

Dave C

The key is as with everything in diving find what works for you and get as many dives in as possible and then it becomes second nature. I started using the dry suit only for buoancy but then after talking to the people I dive with found out some use the bc and use the drysuit for warmth now I use a combination but mostly use the air in the dry suit to remove the squeeze and to keep warm. Like some said it is all about what works for you. Ask others give their advice a try and adapt to what makes you comfortable. There is no one right way to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom