First equipment purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, after much time spent reading posts from this board I believe I have finally came down to two models of gear for each function. I would like to run them by you guys and see what you think. My decisions were based on a combination of quality and value. My diving will be exclusively tropical, with eventually some trips to North Carolina perhaps. Most, if not all, of the items will be purchased at LP. Well here it goes:

Regulator: Atomic Z-1 (SP R-380 octo) or SP MK25/S600 (SP R-380 octo). I read lots of good stuff on both Atomic and SP. It just seems that most think the Atomics just breathe better. The Z-1 is the most reasonably priced Atomic while still maintaining most of the features they are known for (don't see any reason to look into the B-1 (titanium second stage) or M-1 (monel internal parts).

BCD: ok guys......don't yell at me......I've decided not to go the BP/wings route at this juncture. I've narrowed it down to two sequests: the pro Q D+ and the Balance. Both are similarly priced. The decision is weather or not I want rear inflation. I'm leaning towards it as it seems it will be better for maintaining trim and less drag. I've also read that there isn't too much "forward push" at the surface with the Balance which would be inportant to me I think.

Computer: After reading many posts I've decided on a wrist computer for all the reasons already listed on the board. I've narrowed it down to the Oceanic Versa Pro or the Aeris Atmos 2. Very similar in function and a reasonable price, $290 and $250 at LP respectively. I know they are liberal, but I can dive them conservatively if I wish.I looked at the Stinger but it is just too expensive. I will get an analog spg, not sure if it will contain a compass or I will wear the compass on my wrist as well.If I decide to wear a wrist compass I will probably get only a pressure guage and have my buddy for a redundant depth monitor.

Well there it is. I appreciate all the info I have garnered from this board and look forward to hearing what you guys have to say about these final choices. Thanks again. Oh one more question, will LP put this stuff together for me, i.e. the hoses and reg or am I on my own? Also I won't have an opportunity to test dive this stuff in a pool so do I just take a very shallow easy dive the first time? or perhaps have everything checked out by someone?

Regulators: The only criticism my local Scubapro guy had of Atomic was "they haven't been around as long as SP." Otherwise, everything I've heard is positive on Atomics. I have a Mk25/S600 primary, so that's the direction my sympathies lay. I don't like mixing first and second stages just as a matter of principle, but I'm not aware of any compatability issues with SP second/Atomic first.

BCD: You are going to hell and will be condemned to an eternity of slow roasting over a flaming pile of jacket-style BC's because you didn't buy a BP/wing. I'm kidding. Your gear, your choice.

Computer: For me, it's a glorified bottom timer/depth gauge and automatic dive logging tool. As long as it performs those functions, I'm happy with it. So no opinion on how good the computer function is.

Other instruments: Go with the wrist compass. It's easier to use properly when it's on your wrist. Analog SPG is good, just make sure it's a good quality gauge and that it's easily readable. I'd recommend a Uwatec, but they're made from unobtainium.

Since you're in NYC, LP is a local dive shop and they should put the equipment together for you (assuming you go down to the store). If you can't dive the new equipment in a pool before going out, I'd suggest performing a very basic leak test in your tub. It's not as good as a checkout dive in a pool, but I'd rather get *some* idea of any problems before I headed out to open water of any sort.

Reg: scubapro, I don't like mixing brands and SP regs can be fixed just about everywhere.

BC: Balance is better of the two.

Computer: Those 2 computers are equivalent

SPG: Just get a plain SPG. Scubapro is nice, LP has OMS also.

Good choices. Just add water.

Here's what I have:
Mk25/G250HP and R190
Halcyon Pioneer 27
Scubapro Bottom Timmer

Reg: I would defenitly get Scubapro. If you don't mind a slightly bigger reg get a G250HP it will save you a good $50.00. For the backup I have the R190, just because I am cheep and I didn't want to pay the extra money for the R380. There is no difference between the R190 and the R380.

BC: I would just get a Backplate and Wings setup, but thats my oppion. ( you'll regret getting that jacket latter on)

Computer: I have no experience with the computers you listed, but I would take a look at Suunto, they make some of the best computers (viper)
Good Luck!
Tekkie

is to try the various elements, in various combinations, in a pool and see what feels most comfortable to you. After you narrow that down to a couple of choices, try each one in a real diving situation and see what's best for you.

The most important thing is feeling comfortable and confident in your equipment. If you can manage that, then you will be fine with any good gear.

:thumb:

Both regs seem to be reputable high performance setups. I would not buy Atomic for the simple reason of their refusal to listen to what divers are saying (see : www.diversunion.org ). Atomic has refused to accept the faxing of divers signatures supporting this petition. If only Scubapro would join the "good guys", thing would get better fast.

I'm in the process of trying a BP now, but the jury is still out. I'm convinced that a new diver would be best off starting with a bargain BC from e-bay while he shops around for what is right for him. Dive it for a while as you look around then sell it again - maybe even at a profit. Unlike regs, BC's seem to vary much more on a diver to diver basis.

Either computer should be fine. Both have the same algorithm which is on the libral end of the scale. I prefer that condition so I can be more conservative if I chose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom