First images of a living giant squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Facsinating. Absolutely 100% fascinating. Best news I've heard all week.

This is a real step forward for science.

This is wonderful for the crypto-zoologists !!!
Now if someone can get some undeniable footage of Nessie.

the K

I just saw this on the News. Amazing that we have been hunting that critter in the wild for so long and this is as close as we have come! makes you wonder what that dark critter is that you can't quite make out at 40' in 30' of vis.

Eric

Anyone know why it took a year to release photos/report their findings? I understand the need to verify your findings before releasing to the media and world what you have, but with photos and a piece of the squid, I would think that it wouldn't take that long to get the word out.

gfisher4792:
Anyone know why it took a year to release photos/report their findings? I understand the need to verify your findings before releasing to the media and world what you have, but with photos and a piece of the squid, I would think that it wouldn't take that long to get the word out.
Probably a long peer review and publication cycle time of the journal, plus the requirement that they not go public in other venues until after the article in the journal has been published.

Charlie99:
Probably a long peer review and publication cycle time of the journal, plus the requirement that they not go public in other venues until after the article in the journal has been published.

Peer review? They still do that? What happened to the good old days of making a 'discovery,' then releasing the news before verification (cold fusion, anybody?) :wink:

Back
Top Bottom