First images of a living giant squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792:
Peer review? They still do that? What happened to the good old days of making a 'discovery,' then releasing the news before verification (cold fusion, anybody?) :wink:

:confined: LMAO Good one! Whatever happened to those guys?

Finally. After all that searching, someone finally spots one. This is a good day. :)

Cool MSN video...

I also think it's good that people are learning about the "Truth about sea-monsters" from days of old.

Remember - Herman Melville - called "the white whale" and all whales - FISH. How much we have learned in 100 years about the oceans, and how much more do we still have to learn.

RIOceanographer:
If anyone is interested in the original scientific journal article where the scientists published their findings it is freely available online:

http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/proc_bio_content/pdf/RSPB20053158.pdf

Thanks for the link, I've already printed out a copy and made copies of them for my professors. I am quite pleased that there are both photos AND fresh live material. I love how simple and inexpensive their photographic setup was. Our lab is also dumbed down equipment-wise, and we get great data too.

Field research in this area just got booted up a few notches. It will be interesting to see how many turf wars develop between squid researchers and wildlife photographers.

I do not understand this "zipper-style" tentacle arrangement. I need a diagram!

My son just forwarded a link on this for me to check out. I hope I don't run into one of them in our dive park (yes, I know... it's too shallow).

archman:
I do not understand this "zipper-style" tentacle arrangement. I need a diagram!
article linked by RIOceanographer:
Giant squids are unique among cephalopods as they can hold the long tentacle shafts together with
a series of small suckers and corresponding lugs along
their length that enable the shafts to be ‘zipped’ together.
This results in a single shaft bearing a pair of tentacle clubs
in claw-like arrangement at the tip.
Sounds like small suckers on one tentacle match up with the lugs on the other, and vice versa, generating the squid equivalent of opposing thumbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom