First impressions... and a story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was out on lake michigan today to try out my BP/W. I ended up using a DUI weight harness with 10lb and then a 2lb ankle weight around the neck of the tank and it worked out good. It'd be nice to have a little more weight higher but I'm not sure if I want the 8lbs the plates would provide. Tobin do you make 3lb plates that I could attach to the plate? I was amazed and how fast I moved through the water with the DSS rig from my previous expierence with a genesis recon with a 75lb bladder.

So on to the interesting stuff.... as I was ready to call DSS tomorrow to place an order for ANOTHER complete rig.

My buddy has a 20' hobbie-cat, he tows a little inflatable dingy behind it that he puts his dive gear in. This has worked great in the past with 2 or 3 people. Today there was 4 people... needless to say on the way in from diving somewhere along the line my complete rig/weight belt/fins went overboard. Had the beach rescue guys searching, we were searching... NOTHING. About 3 hours after it was lost and I was on my way home the beach rescue guys found it afloat. Could have been a very expensive day!!! :shakehead:

Instead of being out $1500+ I just placed my order for my 2nd set of fins and a new weight belt. :11doh:

Next time the dingy will be bungee covered and my gear will be tied off. I owe all those guys at the beach rescue a round!

I was out on lake michigan today to try out my BP/W. I ended up using a DUI weight harness with 10lb and then a 2lb ankle weight around the neck of the tank and it worked out good. It'd be nice to have a little more weight higher but I'm not sure if I want the 8lbs the plates would provide. Tobin do you make 3lb plates that I could attach to the plate? I was amazed and how fast I moved through the water with the DSS rig from my previous expierence with a genesis recon with a 75lb bladder.

So on to the interesting stuff.... as I was ready to call DSS tomorrow to place an order for ANOTHER complete rig.

My buddy has a 20' hobbie-cat, he tows a little inflatable dingy behind it that he puts his dive gear in. This has worked great in the past with 2 or 3 people. Today there was 4 people... needless to say on the way in from diving somewhere along the line my complete rig/weight belt/fins went overboard. Had the beach rescue guys searching, we were searching... NOTHING. About 3 hours after it was lost and I was on my way home the beach rescue guys found it afloat. Could have been a very expensive day!!! :shakehead:

Instead of being out $1500+ I just placed my order for my 2nd set of fins and a new weight belt. :11doh:

Next time the dingy will be bungee covered and my gear will be tied off. I owe all those guys at the beach rescue a round!

Wow. Glad to hear you recovered most of your gear.

We do not make any 3 lbs weight plates, sorry. If I needed 2-4lbs up on the plate I'd use a couple "bullet" weights on the upper camband.

Tobin

I know this isn't really the right forum, but since it's posted here... to add on to the story:

I just got off the phone with my buddy who picked it up, he filled me in on the details:

While we were on our way in from diving we passed a 35' boat that was dead in the water. We told them we'd notified the rescue guys. Turns out one of the off-duty rescue guys drives a boat for a family on his days off. He heard the mayday and decided to give them a hand since he was in the area. In return for towing there boat in the ******** *ahem* I mean boat that was dead that WE reported dead gave them some "free scuba gear" in return for the tow. The guy came in to work later in the day and showed the guys the gear and that's when they realized it was mine :)

The boat that was dead probably seen the gear fall off and didn't say anything, even after we said we'd help them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom