First look: New Olympus PT-045 & PT-047 Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you know for certain you'll always use an external flash just put a small drop of super glue or a small drop of silicone along the edge to hold it in place.
With silicone you can use a exacto knife or razor blade to cut the silicone and take the 'port' off.

Although I lilke their product, the customer service at Olympus is abysmal. The service reps that answer the phone have no clue about the product except what is in front of their computer screen. The last rep I talked to didn't even have know what back scatter was.

I finally just bought a light cable from a local dive shop. That reliably syncs the flash and hopefully will act as a tether for the black slip that will keep me from losing it.

You wouldn't believe the emails that I have had going back and forth with two different people. I just now sent them a picture of their own product. That is sad. I think I will take ROgue's advice and just glue the damn thing on.

Well, if anyone has purchased from me (or other UW photo dealer), I (they) take care of these issues if I can. So ask them. Buy from Amazon/EBay and good luck to you.

The trouble is that the housings are sold as one part and maybe the o-rings as another. The CS reps have no real other info, nor is that slide necessarily sold as a separate part. To be honest I haven't had complaints from customers about this issue. A small piece of electrical tape could also be used to secure it.

A good dealer works with the manufacturer's reps directly to solve their customer's problems. And my prices aren't that much different.

No, I won't order these for you unless you are a customer, sorry. You do have a one year warranty.

Jack

There are no local Olympic UW stores in my area. The local store did have Sea and Sea stuff. That sync cord worked and was actually cheaper. If I decide to use the gray diffuser without the flash, I will just silicone it in place, but next time, I want to use the external strobe to help get rid of the dreaded back scatter!!!

I'm right around the corner via mailorder...I have customers worldwide and they all get the same service that someone standing in the shop gets.

Jack

Hi!
I have a quick question regarding these two houses. Are they interchangable? I have a tough 8000 and the housing for the 6000 - the PT-047 - seems to fit perfectly in every way (and I cant get the one for the 8000). Obviously, Olympus don't have a clue but maybe you guys do?

Test it on land. Does it close tightly, without binding? Does the camera fit solidly, without rattling? Does the lens extend fully without hitting the port? Does the flash line up with the flash opening? Does the shutter button operate on half and full press? Can you access all other controls that you normally use? If so, it works. There may be a slight difference in controls or fit that required a second housing for the two models, but if you're happy with the fit and control access, and the case doesn't bind on the camera or deform when installing or closing, it should work. Only way you could tell the difference is to hold the two housings and cameras side by side and maybe take a caliper to them to see if one is a millimeter deeper or something. In the old days, they used to make one housing to fit all SLR's, and you just changed the mounting plate and some of the button extensions to use different brands and models.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom