First Narc. scared the crap out of me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think PADI should include in the training signs to look out for, i.e buddy not responding or just being errant in their behaviour!

They do. It's part of the OW course(textbook/classroom, including knowledge reviews), and gets reinforced on the AOW course.

TSandM, in the enriched air manual it states that decongestants such as sudafed can lead to central nervous system spasms at depth. Since decongestants are central nervous system stimulants, it is possible? though the research they quote is a tad questionable...

On the other hand, I was led to believe that narcosis or at least panic can hit anyone, anywhere, and it is a question of training and the right attitude required to deal with it.

Thank You csholer for an informative post.

With due respect to the OP, your reaction sounds to me to be related to anxiety more than narcosis. You might also consider the possibility of a carotid sinus reflex which is a known factor in causing "unwell" and anxious feelings. As someone also mentioned, CO2 buildup might have been a factor. Were you breathing shallow? Was your regulator up to the depth you were diving. By your own admission you were breathing quickly and hyperventilating... both could account for the way you felt.

I don't want to take away from your learning experience, but I think that there are other factors at play. Your symptoms really aren't the sorts of thing you would typically expect to see from narcosis, and really, 100' isn't really very deep enough to bring on a serious narcosis "hit" unless you are pre-disposed to the condition.

everyone has raised some great points on this, and i appreciate all the responses. as to 100' depth, actual was closer to 130+ due to near 7000' elevation at tahoe and the hypervent and breathing probs happened nearly instantaneously, one moment i,m hovering watching my buddy take a photo, the next my body just freaked out.. the only thing that kept me from overbreathing my reg was that it is a quality unit, mares mr22 abyss metal.:D

Back
Top Bottom