First ocean dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlowWorm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I finally had my first ocean dive yesterday! It was great (once I got under water anyway) the water was VERY choppy, almost everyone on the boat got seasick (including myself). It was definitely not the most pleasant experience but once I finally made it down it was so cool! I really need to get nitrox certified because it seemed like the dive was over so quickly. I didn't really see many big fish but I did she some pretty colorful small ones! And a few jellyfish too.

The second five was cool too, there were so many big schools of fish just surrounding me and it was such a neat experience!! The current was super strong though and wventhkugh i was trying ti swim as hard as i could, i felt like i was going nowhere. It freaked me out a little bit and i ha trouble controlling my breathing but i guess that just takes practice. safty stops were so difficult though, I was holding on for dear life and the surf just had me going in every direction, I thought I was gooing to drift out to sea lol.

I can't wait to go again!!! Hopefully with calmer water.

Congratz sounds like you had a good time. If it was an anchor dive you should start into the current or tack against it. Use terrain features and the bottom to "hide" from the current. Use the anchor line for your safety stop. If it was drift dive just go with the flow :D

Congrats. I've only had ocean dives, but usually waters are calm enough that most of the fellow divers aren't seasick. I always find that it's a lot better once you're below the surface of the water. Was it a local dive or a tropical dive?

Eventually with more experience, you'll be much more relaxed in currents and surge. It probably wasn't that appropriate that you faced so much stress on your first ocean dive, but you managed to handle it.

Congrats and good job. I've been in some similar conditions. To be hit with it right away and survive will make the more "benign" dives even more enjoyable.

It was a local dive trip. The captain said its not normally that choppy out. I just chose a bad day! But now every other dive I do will be a piece of cake :)

It was a local dive trip. The captain said its not normally that choppy out. I just chose a bad day! But now every other dive I do will be a piece of cake :)

Not necessarily! :D

So its normal when sharing this info to provide depth, time, temperature, your profile, location, stuff you would log and things of interest. Glad you enjoyed it despite getting sick.

Sounds awesome! My son and I just did our first ocean dive a couple weeks ago a little north of you in Wilmington, NC. He had just turned 12 so we did a dive to 60 ft. since he could now go that deep. We didn't see any jellyfish, but we ran into a stingray. I agree with you about the nitrox certification!

Seas were pretty rough for us, but only half the boat got sick. One thing our local dive shop owner suggested was taking bonine – one the night before and the one about an hour before the boat ride. We didn't have any problems with seasickness.

Good luck in your future dives!

Congrats! first ocean dives can get exciting. and you can't always control the conditions. I guess a lot of dives are going to be sub-optimal with a hurricane in the Atlantic. I had to sit out this weekend, but plan on getting in a couple of dives next weekend, weathe permitting. My personal preference is to get down quick away from the waves... if you scrub the dive because of motion sickness you end up sitting topside feeding the fishes while waiting for everyone else to come back up.

Congrats. I deal with sea sickness anytime seas are more than a couple feet. It can really ruin an otherwise awesome activity. Glad you had a fun, and more importantly safe, first dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom