First Ocean Dives yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PittCaleb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was certified last October and have been diving at Dutch almost exclusively with the exception being a couple dives at Devil's Den in FL after being blown out on a Florida trip in January.

Took the academics and Quarry check-outs for Deep & Wreck diving through my LDS and finally went out Sunday. Last time I was on a small boat (i.e. not cruise) I did get sick. As suggested, the trans dermal patch worked wonders. The motor out was fine, the half-hour gearing up before jumping in was fine and the first hour of our SI was fine, but the last 20-30 mins, not so much.

I was starting to feel quite green and putting my gloves on, I was seriously considering bailing on the dive, just didn't even want to move or think of anything. Then I thought, if I didn't dive, I'd be stuck on the boat getting sicker. As soon as I hit the water, I felt fine! No more random rocking, 2nd dive was great.

We did a wreck in only 70' and it was scattered, but it was neat looking at all the different fish off the Jersey shore - didn't expect such a variety - especially the starfish.

Worst part of the ocean boat dive was line back up - waiting wasn't difficult, the waiting while hanging on the line and buffeting up and down was the problem. But it was all good.

So happy I 'survived' the seasickness part of my first boat trip. Not ready yet for a longer boat stay, but happy I did as well as I did. Limiting my SI between dives would be a good thing though!

PittCaleb

Glad you had a relatively fun trip. There are definite advantages and disadvantages to boat diving on the Jersey coast. Once you get to wrecks that are in tact (post WWII for the most part) then you will truly be impressed. They are ominous!
I have done a number of Jersey boat dives and with the exception of the last dive ALWAYS got sea sick. For the last dive I dive the following:
5 days in advance:
Ginger Candy
Dehydrated Ginger fruit (like dried bananas, grapes, etc) - you can also buy ginger and make your own ginger candy
Lots of gingerale (probably 1-2 cans a day)
2 days in advance:
Took a non-drowsy motion sickness pill before bed
1 day in advance:
Took 3 non-drowsy motion sickness pills (morning, noon, evening)
Day of dive:
Non-drowsy pill when I woke up, one before I got on the boat, one after the first dive, and one after the second dive

I did not get sick, queasy, nauseous, etc.

Worked well

Been there and probably barfed on it! SI is the hardest part! I wear a patch when diving and have to take great care not to knock or let it wash off. If the Capt. can find calmer water during the SI it's great but doesn't solve the problem. But, if you can get in and snorkel during the interval that seems to do the trick for most of us. Otherwise, look at the horizon, stay in the center of the boat and don't fool with gear during SI. Ice cold water on the back of my neck also helps with the nausea.

Thanks for the tips guys. Independence II @lowviz.

The real question I have for myself is the fact that this was a 12-hour day, from waking up at 4 AM to finishing rinsing my gear and setting out to dry in my garage at 4 PM. Twelve hours for 2 half-hour dives... I need to somehow increase the value of the trip. With more experience and training and eventually running doubles, I'll get more dive time at least.

Good experience, definitely better than 'another day' at Dutch and the start of more boat diving I am sure... I'll have to start hydrating with Gingerale the days before, shouldn't be a problem at all...

....//....The real question I have for myself is the fact that this was a 12-hour day, from waking up at 4 AM to finishing rinsing my gear and setting out to dry in my garage at 4 PM. Twelve hours for 2 half-hour dives......//......

This is a formidable challenge for a new ocean diver. However, as everything gets more practiced it ceases to be a nuisance. It even begins to turn around a bit, I like all the associated stuff. -well, maybe not rinsing my gear...

.......//......Good experience, definitely better than 'another day' at Dutch and the start of more boat diving I am sure... ....//....

Glad to hear it. Sorry about the crowded line experience. You can time it so that the line is all yours, nobody was on the line for either of my two dives.
And by the way, you did really well. Your strong positive attitude saved the trip for you with respect to sea sickness.

...//...Independence II @lowviz...//...

Thought so, Hello again! (I was on the boat with you.)

:D

Thanks for the tips guys. Independence II @lowviz.

The real question I have for myself is the fact that this was a 12-hour day, from waking up at 4 AM to finishing rinsing my gear and setting out to dry in my garage at 4 PM. Twelve hours for 2 half-hour dives... I need to somehow increase the value of the trip. With more experience and training and eventually running doubles, I'll get more dive time at least.

Unquote

So you spent a whole 12 hours for an hour of underwater time?? Why that's--that's--what's the word?..

"Normal".

I've done the same thing on day trips driving from New Orleans to Pensacola and back ("day" means get up at 2:30, on the road at 3:30, Mickey D's at 6:30, dive shop 7, boat 7:30, get back at 1pm, unload, lunch, and drive back west, get back 5pm, take bath with gear.

Only thing is, when you get more experience, it'll be an hour and a *half* for your two-tank dive day. You just grow to love it, that's all.....

It's a start and you've made the first move.

The more dives you get the greater the experience and knowledge of how to deal and prevent with issues. instead of staying the boat, you've decided to dive. Hence no sickness.

Dive often and have fun. You'll discover very interesting things.

Have fun diving!!!

Glad you came out and hope to see you again! Here is a short video from the dive on the MAURICE TRACY.

[video=youtube;LzLCl5NltCU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzLCl5NltCU[/video]

-Brandon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom