First of blog series for teaching neutrally buoyant and trimmed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
TEACHING NEUTRALLY BUOYANT AND TRIMMED
A GUIDE FOR THE INSTRUCTOR WHO WISHES TO MAKE THE LEAP, PART 1

You have to love it, you're famous

TEACHING NEUTRALLY BUOYANT AND TRIMMED
A GUIDE FOR THE INSTRUCTOR WHO WISHES TO MAKE THE LEAP, PART 1

You have to love it, you're famous
Didn’t expect to be mobbed at the Starbucks this morning. Should have written this series when I was single!

I once tried to write a manual in regards to Monoskiing.

E7BB6796-EFBA-4059-B3D4-E6586AFBB250.jpeg

I believe you can write of a process outlining the teaching of such a thing. I can’t figure out how to teach the act itself with written words.

As an instructor, should I paraphrase or parrot this to my students? Not sure they would follow or stay with it.

Are you addressing instructors or students with your writing?

I understood your message. I doubt any OW student would grasp this.

As with Monoskiing, perhaps this is an ethereal topic?

As an instructor, should I paraphrase or parrot this to my students? Not sure they would follow or stay with it.

Use what works for you. This is content that I've shared in different forms with other instructors who found it useful. I won't claim that everyone will.

Are you addressing instructors or students with your writing?
Primarily instructors, but I provide this content to my students. Some non-pro divers have reviewed this material and understood it.

I understood your message. I doubt any OW student would grasp this.
I'm able to explain it in a manner that my students do grasp it, but I won't claim that all instructors will be able to do the same.

EDIT: You may want to wait to read the other two blog posts before drawing conclusions.

EDIT: You may want to wait to read the other two blog posts before drawing conclusions.

You assume I understood there were follow on posts?

I’m so disconnected. How do I find them?

I shared your post with a friend who has done a DSD and is looking into OW courses. She said she mostly didn't understand it, but she got that neutral buoyancy is important. I think it a newly-certified diver would understand more, but would probably still find it a challenging read.

I shared your post with a friend who has done a DSD and is looking into OW courses. She said she mostly didn't understand it, but she got that neutral buoyancy is important. I think it a newly-certified diver would understand more, but would probably still find it a challenging read.
That's fair. I would expect that an instructor would be able to explain the concepts. Correct weighting should (italicized as should is a dangerous word) be straight forward. The distribution of weight and how it relates to the difference in center of mass vs displacement is something that without a sufficient physics background is going to be hard to grasp without further visual aids.

I do concede that many newly certified divers will have trouble grasping it, but I think it is clear that I have believe that many new divers are insufficiently trained, not meeting the standards of their own agency (not a problem of just one agency).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom