First Oil Rig Dive... scared or should I be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, I don't see anything really snarky in the responses. 14 dives just isn't very many. I'm sure others are way faster learners or more naturally talented than me, but when I had 14, I considered myself still fresh out of OW (I had all the prerequisite types of AOW dives done - deep, wreck, nav, night, photo, etc., but was I "advanced"? I don't think in ANY sense of the word, other than perhaps in terms of total number of dives compared to those with 13 or fewer). Anyways, that's just me. If you end up going, good luck and have fun on the rig!

I dont think anyone is trying to be snarky...

Most people are shocked by the few dives you claim to have (ps various dive boats usually means 4 dive days). Next time post something like:

"I have done X Y Z dives how does this compare to those dives in terms of difficulty?."

That would get you the answer your looking for...

I'm a bit curious why you feel the need to rush into challenging diving.

Thanks I'll remember that next time. :D I didn't realize I was rushing myself necessarily. I just want to do the all things that I can do while diving. I've gotten quite obsessed with diving lately and whenever I have an opportunity to dive some place new I can't help but want to try it. A friend of mine wanted to do the oil rigs (he's more experienced) and I thought I try it. But I totally get everyone's concern. And it does seem like I'm probably taking a bigger risk at this point then I should.

I'll ask my friend try to find a less intense place to dive this weekend. I'm sure we'll still have a great time as long as I get to go underwater.

I'm with everybody else; I think the oil rigs are a bit ambitious at this point. These are the things that make them what I would call an advanced dive:

1. No bottom, or no safe one. If you lose buoyancy control, 600 feet is a long way to fall. As long as you remain within the structure, you do have a fair amount of visual reference, but if for any reason you lost your composure, there is no place to settle down.

2. Current. On our two rig dives, there was fairly strong current on the first one. It was enought to make negotiating between the uprights challenging, and I hit a lot of mussels and scallops in the process. It would not be at all good to get blown out of the structure altogether. It adds a significant amount to the stress of the dive when you're managing buoyancy and current.

3. Limited visibility. On our dives, the top 30 feet were largely opaque. We're fairly used to that, in Puget Sound, but LA divers apparently aren't always.

4. Live boat pickup. The boat backs in as close to the rigs as it can (which can depend on surface conditions and current) and you have to get to it. Timing is important (timing for the drop is important, too -- you can't do it at leisure, as you can with an anchored boat). Getting this accomplished can be affected by surface conditions and current, as well.

They're GREAT dives. I'd rack up 75 or 100 dives, with some from charter boats and some on deeper sites, and then book a rig dive with a buddy who has done it before. It's well worth the effort, but do it when your skills will let you enjoy it, not just survive it.

When I was a kid I used to have a weird fear of man-made objects tehered in open water. i think it stemmed from one time I swam out to a bouy, and had to rest on it because it was further out than I thought, and all i could think about was the rusty chain descending to the murky depths covered in rust and weeds....

The thought of swimming around with an oil rig creaking above and below me would have filled me with dread! I'd be interested to see how I'd react now though; now I know what's down there I don't have quite the same fear of the deep

Ditto what TSandM said.

While diving rigs can be great (particularly in the FGBNMS, where they can't clean the legs and they become artificial reefs), petroleum production platforms are indeed at least intermediate to advanced dives. The SB responses are valid considering the OP's stated skill level. In my humble opinion, you'd do well with sitting this one out for now and returning to it after several dozen dive experiences. After that, have fun!

I just checked my log book. I made my first rig dives at dive 13 and 14 with open water training and AOW training as my preceding dives. Guess what? I didn't die. In fact, I took a rig diver training class that was offered from the LDS in New Orleans. I am not sure that it was an official specialty, but we learned about the conditions at the site, on the boat, in the water, and contacting help in the event of an emergency.

My first rig dive was with a single AL80 for 26 minutes to a depth of 122 feet at the Freeport McMoran rig 41 miles off the Louisiana coast.

I have had some bad experiences at the rigs, mainly with spearfishermen who are diving solo. DO NOT have a spearfisherman as a dive buddy. You will be making your first solo dive. Make your entry into the rig at depth... what depth will depend on conditions at the site. Depending on vis, stay in close proximity to your dive buddy. Have a plan prior to the dive including time depth and route. Establish time and pressure constraints for the turn to exit. Don't just plan to be back on the boat with 500 psi. Watch your depth limits. Start the dive into the current, if possible. Be aware of the direction of the current at different depths which may also change during the dive. Don't be afraid to thumb the dive if you feel too much anxiety. Even though you are not technically in an overhead environment (except when you go under cross beams), it is very dark and you will need to have good light for the entire dive. Make sure you have at least one good backup light to your primary, and abort the dive if yours or your buddy's primary fails. Listen to the dive masters instructions about entry, and hopefully there is a granny line for you to use and hang onto at the surface at the end of the dive as you work your way back to the boat. Make sure you have a working SMB and you know how to use it. I also recommend carrying a stainless steel mirror in a pocket, as well as a strobe. Make sure you can make your safety stop where there are no crossbeams. You may need to hide behind the current at a stansion somewhere. Do not follow the spearfishermen down to depths requiring you to perform decompression. You are not trained for that. Try to buddy up with someone who has made this dive before and who is willing to stay with you and ensure that you are okay during the dive.

Diving on the rigs is fun. There are lots of big fish around, though I have never seen a shark on a rig dive. I was told they have something underneath the rig that the sharks don't like (electronics in the water). I can't verify the truth in that, but that is what I was told.

Dive safe and within your limits!

Yes I can manage a safety stop in open water. Yes I always carry an SMB. So far I feel like everyone is saying its not a good idea but I'm missing the why? I'm still not seeing what is so different and more dangerous about diving at the Oil Rigs as opposed to something like penetrating a wreck at 90 ft?

If you're unsure of whether or not you're qualified for any dive, the answer is probably "no". This is because you don't know much about the dive, and the stuff you do know is making you question whether or not you're ready. There's probably a ton of other stuff that you don't know that adds additional risk.

Whenever you can answer the question "Sure I'm ready!", the oil rigs will still be there.

As for a wreck penetration @ 90', that's an exceptionally bad idea unless you've done a bunch of dives and have wreck penetration training and equipment and a known good buddy with the same.

Terry

On many many rig dives I have never needed a light during the day to see, even below 100 feet. At worse it was like a dark cloudy day.
The electrical current of the rigs cathodic corrosion system is said to discourage sharks from entering the jacket of the rigs. It may affect them but it will not totally keep them out.

Don’t despair, the rigs will be there for a long time. Kevrumbo, MaxBottomtime and TSandM all have given you sound advice and I won’t bother re-capping it.
Can you do it? Sure, odds are you will have a great time, particularly if you have an experienced buddy that has dived the rigs several times before. Just remember, the big risk is poor or loss of buoyancy control and if the current comes up, which it can and does with little warning.

Current being the chief safety issue. (Provided your buoyancy skills are up to snuff.) Divers do get blow off the rigs and end up having to be picked up down current frequently without issue. Even Drifting Dan survived and he would have not made the news if he did what he was supposed to. Carry a good SMB, know how to deploy it. Stay in close contact with your buddy and leave the camera on deck. (plus what the other’s said.)

So, just how well do you trust your buddy’s skills and strengths along with your own ability to know when to call the dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom