first OW dive--and I hyperventilate...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rnees

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Yee hah...
Just got back from the quarry...first open water dive. I'm such a goon. Was fine until the 'tired diver' thingy...I could not get my chest to expand, began to hyperventilate. Didn't feel like I was overexerting myself, but what do I know. No panic--just couldn't get enough air in my lungs, flipped on my back, spat the reg out and waited (a little dizzy, I admit)...when the instructor reached me and loosened my BCD and jacket, I calmed right down and was able to breathe normally again. Completed the rest of the dives no prob. What fun.
Note to self: don't cinch the BCD too tight...and don't zip up the jacket to my neck if it's tight...
BTW: water temp 70, 7 mil farmer brown and 7 mil jacket(I think). Was wearing rental gear that might have been a size too small for me.
Going back tomorrow for the second set of dives...and then I should be certified!:D

But seriously: I'm not generally given to panic (that I know of), and the instructor says it happened because the suit/BCD was too tight. Was he saying that just to reassure me, or did I do something terribly wrong?
I'd appreciate any input.
Either way, I had a blast (except for the embarrassment), and can't wait to get back in the water in the morning!
Thanks for all you fine folks have done for me already. Lots of great info here.

Yea you were set-up for stress. I know I'd be HOT in that suit/water combination. Some jackets can be rib bruisers and if this was your first time getting flotation with open water weights you probably experienced it as never before. Add the adrenaline of your first open water adventure and the challenge of evaluation and things could get rough. It's not uncommon for new divers to cinch things up excessively, after all you don't want that air supply getting away!

Good job on breaking the cycle. In general though spitting out the regulator wants to be avoided. One wayward wave can lead to a mouthful of water and a whole other mess. Probably not huge risk in the quarry but it's a lesson to take away with you.

Pete

congrats on the dive, you'll get better and build confidence with more experience. Are you on any of the local motorcycle websites? I'm from the area and I ride also

Yea you were set-up for stress. I know I'd be HOT in that suit/water combination. Some jackets can be rib bruisers and if this was your first time getting flotation with open water weights you probably experienced it as never before. Add the adrenaline of your first open water adventure and the challenge of evaluation and things could get rough. It's not uncommon for new divers to cinch things up excessively, after all you don't want that air supply getting away!

Good job on breaking the cycle. In general though spitting out the regulator wants to be avoided. One wayward wave can lead to a mouthful of water and a whole other mess. Probably not huge risk in the quarry but it's a lesson to take away with you.

Pete
thanks... I know I should have kept the regulator in...will have to learn to trust it to give me air on the surface. Need to work on that.
I guess I was more stressed than I thought.... Weird. I'm not a 'stress' kind of person. Usually. And I was very warm through the whole dive.

I'm on the MSF listserv (though I rarely read that anymore--too much BS) and on the FJR forum (FJRforum.com). Are there any good local MC sites?

If your wet suit was too tight you are going to have a hard time taking a deep breath. You should read up on dead air space. Basically, your mouth and trachea are dead air space. If you breath shallow you are just exchanging the air in your dead air space. Little or no air is making it to your lungs and your carbon dioxide will build up. This will lead to panic. You were essentially dry drowning.

When you try on a wet suit you should be able to breath DEEPLY. If your breathing is restricted then the wet suit is too tight. Your instructor was not telling you this to be reassuring.

:D:D:D
did OW dives 3 and 4 today...all is good in the world. No hyperventilation, no silliness.
So now I'm a certified diver.
Now what?

***first, I'm off to Cozumel in December***

but then what?

and thanks for all the tips!

chicago scuba board??

Back
Top Bottom