First Pics with S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just want people to know that the Underwater Photography site that is linked above and in my sig line belongs to and was developed and maintained and largely written by Scott and that I am simply a mod there for what good I might do as are a few other people far more capable than myself with a camera. Credit where credit due.

Nem

Nemrod, I cannot think of a single recommendation or advice from you that was not valuable... well, except for that suggestion about getting that INON case (and then only because it cost so much)..

I always was trained that your shutter speed should never EVER be slower than your focal distance i.e. 200mm 1/200 Sec or greater. Clearly there are exceptions.. but have found that a good way to be able to "prevent stable items from blurring". Most of my stuff is in studio where we get to shoot f9-22/Sync speed/ISO100... so that rule can only go so far underwater LOL.

jgoodstein, a couple of quick comments on your post... the actual lens on S90 is 6 to 22.5 mm so the old rules for big lens don't really apply.

Once you go past F8, defraction begins to degrade the image. A good Dslr has a lot of head room so loosing some image quality for increased DOF is worth the trade...Point and Shoot camera's struggle with resolution and due to small lens size, don't have that much of a DOF concern... so they don't give you a lot of F stops. What they give you in it's place is really high flash sync... I use 1/500th a lot. Different, but it works.

Also holding your subject and yourself still underwater is not so easy.

Those are terrific! If this is new and bad, you are going to be Awesome! Oh, and listen to Puffer. He is amazing....

I agree with you on his images...

I just have made every pictures mistake known to mankind (and continue to do so).

In fact, my class on what not to do in Underwater Photography was the easiest course I have ever put together, as I had thousands to pick from.

jgoodstein, a couple of quick comments on your post... the actual lens on S90 is 6 to 22.5 mm so the old rules for big lens don't really apply.

Once you go past F8, defraction begins to degrade the image. A good Dslr has a lot of head room so loosing some image quality for increased DOF is worth the trade...Point and Shoot camera's struggle with resolution and due to small lens size, don't have that much of a DOF concern... so they don't give you a lot of F stops. What they give you in it's place is really high flash sync... I use 1/500th a lot. Different, but it works.

Also holding your subject and yourself still underwater is not so easy.

LOL I have to agree to your better judgement as its been a while since I played around with P&S.. but your points are very valid both scientifically as well as artistically.

Nemrod, I cannot think of a single recommendation or advice from you that was not valuable... well, except for that suggestion about getting that INON case (and then only because it cost so much)..

Thanks, but was I really recommending the case or saying it existed :eyebrow:.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom