First real dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoccerJeni

Scuba Baby
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This weekend I'll be making my first ever real dive trip thanks to TVMark. I've done 15 dives to date, but they were always 1 or 2 dives I tried to get in on a trip for something else. So, this weekend will be my first trip that is specifically for diving and I couldn't be more excited! :)

I haven't dove more than 1 day in a row since OW 4 years ago. This weekend we potentially will be doing 3 days of diving. I know the water will be somewhat cold, upper 50's to lower 60s I believe. The last time I dove, I did 3 dives in 1 day in water that was 58 degrees. That night I had a hard time maintaining warmth and kept taking a blow dryer to my body. I actually ended up sleeping in gloves, a hat, sweatshirt, sweatpants and socks and was shivering a bit. I doubt we do more than 2 dives a day, so hopefully I won't have that trouble with warmth again.

Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement!!! And hopefully I learn a lot this weekend. Thanks for reading! :dance:

Right on. So where are you going? What wetsuit were you wearing that you had problems with cold at 58F? I finally did my first week long dive trip in Jan. (to Panama) after 6 years--was great--diving and nothing much else (not even TV, which normally would be rough for me...). Unfortunately, my wife stayed home, not being a diver. But it was mostly just me and the DM and captain on the boat, so I got to do what I wanted. Enjoy. Oh, by the way, your Chiefs bowed out early, but my Jets had another near Super Bowl heartbreaker, which is worse.

:rofl3: Nice! Yep, my Chiefs were very lucky to even make an appearance in the playoffs. I went to the game, with a Ravens fan none the less! But a heartbreaking loss is always a shame! Thankfully I expected a loss.

Your trip sounds cool! I'm heading to Beaver Lake in Arkansas. Before I wore a 5mil farmer john, a 3mil hood, and 3mil gloves. I'll be wearing the same thing this weekend. Last time I wore the suit 8 or 9 hours straight and it was February in Missouri. Maybe that has something to do with it. :idk:

wear a fleece hat during your suface interval, if you remove your suit even to your waist a fleece sweater and jacket will also help. Even in Hawaii I often wear sweaters and hats during surface intervals.

your body may never warm back up to 98.6 during your surface interval, thus your more susceptible to getting cold on subsequent dives, more dives in a day and the colder your core becomes, the longer you dive also is a contributing factor.

Avoid blood vessel constrictors before a dive. (smoking, caffine, etc)

warm soup or broth is good for surface intervals as is eating.

if you shiver during a dive, end the dive...your too cold.

have a great time

:rofl3: Nice! Yep, my Chiefs were very lucky to even make an appearance in the playoffs. I went to the game, with a Ravens fan none the less! But a heartbreaking loss is always a shame! Thankfully I expected a loss.

Your trip sounds cool! I'm heading to Beaver Lake in Arkansas. Before I wore a 5mil farmer john, a 3mil hood, and 3mil gloves. I'll be wearing the same thing this weekend. Last time I wore the suit 8 or 9 hours straight and it was February in Missouri. Maybe that has something to do with it. :idk:

Your exposure suit would be OK for me at 58F, but maybe you should look at a 7 mil --that takes me through the winter here if we stay home--even for a 20 minute single dive with 30's temps.

Thanks BrianKon & TMHeimer! I think I will bring a hat & something to cover up with on the surface interval. I talked to my dive shop today and the most exposure they have is the 5mil farmer john, so looks like I need to work on getting drysuit certified!

Have a wonderful time!

If you are going to do trips like this, I would highly recommend investing in a TruWest dive parka. The windproof, waterproof outer coating, matched with the high quality fleece, is ideal for putting over a wetsuit, or putting over dry clothes. It IS hard to warm up well, when you are doing three or more dives a day, no matter what water you're doing them in.

Thanks BrianKon & TMHeimer! I think I will bring a hat & something to cover up with on the surface interval. I talked to my dive shop today and the most exposure they have is the 5mil farmer john, so looks like I need to work on getting drysuit certified!

Glad to hear that you will be getting in some diving,... at last! You can look at the drysuit (which is my preference) or even look at maybe a Semi dry (no special training required for that), especially if you are planning on doing a lot of cold water diving in the future. Have fun!!!!!:D

Have a wonderful time!

If you are going to do trips like this, I would highly recommend investing in a TruWest dive parka. The windproof, waterproof outer coating, matched with the high quality fleece, is ideal for putting over a wetsuit, or putting over dry clothes. It IS hard to warm up well, when you are doing three or more dives a day, no matter what water you're doing them in.

When I was diving in the Galapagos (cold water) this past summer, even wearing a drysuit, I got chilled. I found what seemed to work for me was to drink some hot chocolate after the dives & after getting out of my suit, to wrap up in a blanket until it was time to dive again. I even opted to sit out a couple of dives (spread throughout the trip) to give my body a chance to recover a little. It made the dives I did do much nmore comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom