First Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Tx, ST1, M1, B2 and Z1. I would go with either the ST1 or M1 (probably more M1). In regards to the Atomic sealed first stage and some people stating that it is "messy" or costing more to service, I find it very untrue. It isn't messy or even noticeable at all. I can go for 3 - 5 years between servicing and the regulator will perform as new during this period because of the high quality of the regulators and the metals they use to make them. Cost isn't an issue at all and messiness isn't a factor at all for the user or even the technician (I am a certified and experienced Atomic technician).

SP's Mk25 Evo/XX anything is a very close second to the Atomic regulators but will probably require shorter service cycle.

Thank you all for the great information and opinions, seems like they are all good choices, I think I'm down to the Aqualung and the Atomic. To be honest I had my head set on the atomic as it seemed to me to have some great 'hype' around them, at my LDS, all the instructors seem to dive the Aqualung, and their confidence seemed to be in that reg. The aqualung website leaves much to be desired in information and product description so the advice here is much appreciated.

I do have some reservations about chrome over brass, long term wear and the inevitable chips which may occur in the chrome and the resulting oxidation. Is this much of a problem with these regs? Hence my thoughts on the ST1 being solid stainless I thought it's longevity may be better. Its seem as though the Atomic will be more in maintenance costs long term, if I keep up with the Aqualung servicing regimen.

When i say cold water i'm thinking 10-15c i'm not one to go ice diving!

Nothing vintage or used for me, I only every buy any equipment new.

What about adding AI to these regs, I've read that putting a transmitter on the Aqualung 1st will block the other ports, is this true? Does the same problem exist on the Atomic? Using a Perdix AI.

Atomic will be more in maintenance costs long term,

Not at all, it is the other way around, Atomic will have best/lower TCO.

Does the same problem exist on the Atomic?
I have two transmitters attached to my ST1 first stage and nothing is blocked at all. All ports are available.

I have a transmitter on my Legend first stage. No problem at all.

Thank you all for the great information and opinions, seems like they are all good choices, I think I'm down to the Aqualung and the Atomic. To be honest I had my head set on the atomic as it seemed to me to have some great 'hype' around them, at my LDS, all the instructors seem to dive the Aqualung, and their confidence seemed to be in that reg. The aqualung website leaves much to be desired in information and product description so the advice here is much appreciated.

Do not be swayed by what your instructors or divemasters use. They are influencers and get "Keyman" pricing, so what they use is influenced by what the shop sells and what deals they get. There are quite of few posts from dive professionals complaining they are forced to dive equipment they would not otherwise purchase.

I do have some reservations about chrome over brass, long term wear and the inevitable chips which may occur in the chrome and the resulting oxidation. Is this much of a problem with these regs? Hence my thoughts on the ST1 being solid stainless I thought it's longevity may be better. Its seem as though the Atomic will be more in maintenance costs long term, if I keep up with the Aqualung servicing regimen.

There is nothing wrong with chrome plated brass. People are still diving regulators that are 20 or 30 years old. The vintage guys/girls have regulators pushing 60 years old.

If it is good enough for ice diving it should be more than adequate for what you want it for. Who knows maybe you will like ice diving.

There is nothing wrong with used equipment. Most divers drop out of diving after a few years so there is plenty of lightly used equipment. That being said I don't recommend it for newbies unless they have a mentor that knows what s/he is looking at. If you buy used gear serviced from an LDS is should be fine.

What about adding AI to these regs, I've read that putting a transmitter on the Aqualung 1st will block the other ports, is this true? Does the same problem exist on the Atomic? Using a Perdix AI.

No first hand knowledge, but if it is a problem you can always add a short hose between the first stage and the transmitter to free up a port.

New additions to the mix just to make my life harder, in speaking to people The Apex XTX200 is the Aqualung LX just a little better, and now thoughts of the Scubapro M17 EVO G260, any thoughts on these?

For 10-15C water, any reg will just do. Even unseal piston will do just fine in those temperature. With Atomic, I won't even bother sealing them if you are reasonable at cleaning.

And about your reservation on brass, I don't think that is necessary. Most regulators out there are brass, a lot are 10+ year old if not more. If brass has longevity issue, you won't see them anymore by now. If money isn't an issue, sure ST1 look good and heavy duty. In fact, T3 are even better at corrosion resistant. I have one of those Tx myself. But I just can't justify the additional cost if I were to do it over again.

Both AL legeng and Atomic are very bullet proof. If everything else being equal, look at service availability, whichever you can get better support locally. Otherwise, just flip a coin.

As for transmitter, I have had AL and oceanic transmitter on both Atomic first and AL Legend first, no issue at all.

some people stating that it is "messy" or costing more to service, I find it very untrue. It isn't messy or even noticeable at all.

Maybe not messy if you have tech do it. But definitely more expansive per service. The $40 or so amount of lube is needed. And the amount is actually very small. Unless you have a way to buy oxygen compatible lube at very low cost, but I have yet to find it. If you don't seal, or with a SP Mk25, you won't need that. For DIYer, sealing part is definitely clean.

And I think if you are reasonable careful at cleaning, just about any reg can go for 3-4 years or even longer. Diaphragm can, unsealed piston also can.

But don't get me wrong, I like Atomics. I have 1 set of single (Tx), 1 set of double (M1/B2) and 1 stage (M1). They are very good quality which I enjoy. I also have a set of double Mk25/G250V and a set of single AL legend. All are so far so good. And to OP, mines are all bought used.

You dont necessarily need to go to legend lx supreme, for your needs you could dive the legend supreme. Still sealed, personally use it to low 40s f, breathes great, is all around great reg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom