First Regulator help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herman,

I know you've been diving for a long time, if you bring up an unbalanced diaphragm first stage regulator:).

Not quite that long but I do own 7 or 8 of them...even a couple single hose ones. :)

I believe both statements are true. Seen on multiple sites, quoted from Dive Emporium:
Features to consider when selecting a scuba regulator: Balanced vs. Unbalanced - a balanced regulator breathes the same at all depths while an unbalanced regulator is increasingly difficult to draw air from as you go deeper. All balanced regulators compensate for depth by equalizing the pressure on both sides of the air valve to the pressure of the surrounding water. The balanced regulator air valve essentially “floats” in an pressure chamber.

Simplyscuba.com refers to both depth and tank pressure.

I thought this was because the affect depth has on delivery pressure is similar to the
affect of reduced tank pressure on the surface (or other level depth). I'm open to
be told this is not the case, but my shop owner concurs with the depth effect and he's
logged over 6000 dives including work as a police recovery diver and work raising
boats/planes around the world.

4) Balanced - you want it to breathe the same at 30' and 130' (150 - already thinking of tech?)

Just an FYI, an unbalanced regulator will breathe the same at 30' as it does at 130', if not, then it's not doing it's job and is probably busted. However, the main performance distinction between a balanced and an unbalanced regulator is that a balanced regulator will maintain the spec'ed IP until tank pressure of ~145psi above ambient while the unbalanced reg will get progressively harder to breathe because IP will start dropping as you get below ~500psi tank pressure. So in not so many words, the balanced reg will breathe fine until you're almost out of air, while the unbalanced reg will begin breathing harder as your tank pressure drops below 500psi. Some people like that about unbalanced regs as it gives them a warning they're about to run out of air.

Last edited:
"Balanced vs. Unbalanced - a balanced regulator breathes the same at all depths while an unbalanced regulator is increasingly difficult to draw air from as you go deeper. All balanced regulators compensate for depth by equalizing the pressure on both sides of the air valve to the pressure of the surrounding water."

Be careful what you read on the internet....yea I know it goes for here to but there are a lot of folks who think they know more than they do. You can have 10's of thousands of dives and not know how a reg works. The statement above was written by someone who does not understand the operation of a regulator. ALL regulators used for breathing in scuba, balanced or not compensate for depth. Piston stages have an ambient chamber and diaphragm stages have one side of the diaphragm exposed to ambient pressure to accomplish this. Ambient pressure compensation or depth compensation is what they are describing, not the balancing function of the reg. A reg that was not depth compensated would become increasingly difficult to breathe from as depth increased and would completly stop supplying gas once the ambient pressure reached that of the IP of the reg. While it is true that at greater depths regs do get harder to breathe from but it has nothing to do with balancing or depth compensation for that matter, that is the result of increased density of the air. Balancing has one purpose, to compensate for changes in tank pressure and thereby keeping the cracking pressure and WOB (work of breathing) of the second stage at a constant value. If you are interested in the operation of regs and would like a very good explanation of what balancing is, how it works and how it's accomplished in a reg, get a copy of "Regulator Savvy" by Peter Wolfinger. He spends a lot time explaining how it all works. For what it's worth, balancing seems to be one of the most misunderstood concepts related to dive regulators.

I would suggest renting a few regulators of different styles from your LDS when you go diving. Based on your like and dislike findings, look for a regulator that has those specifications.

When it comes time to buying the regs, be sure to choose something that you can grow into (i.e. cold water capable for deep / fresh water dives). And be sure to get something from an authorized dealer as mail order / internet sales will usually not cover any recall or warranty issues you may have.

Good Luck!

... If you are interested in the operation of regs and would like a very good explanation of what balancing is, how it works and how it's accomplished in a reg, get a copy of "Regulator Savvy" by Peter Wolfinger. He spends a lot time explaining how it all works. For what it's worth, balancing seems to be one of the most misunderstood concepts related to dive regulators.

1+ Great book, well written, and it should be "required reading" past basic OW training.

And yeah, balancing is easy to get confused about....

Best wishes.

"mail order / internet sales will usually not cover any recall or warranty issues you may have"

I beg to differ...could you please name ONE online scuba store that will NOT "cover any recall or warranty issues you may have" if you're going to make such sweeping statements.

And be sure to get something from an authorized dealer as mail order / internet sales will usually not cover any recall or warranty issues you may have.Good Luck!

I am hoping that you meant to say that buying on the internet / mail order, you need to make sure it is an authorized dealer so you have warranty to cover any issues.....:wink:

If that is not what you meant, you clearly have no clue. :no:

I am a LDS "brick and mortar" that also does internet sales. Anything new that I sell comes with the FULL FACTORY WARRANTY..

Although I tell EVERYONE to check with their LDS first, bottom line, if they have decided to shop online instead and are going to buy from someone like Leisure Pro, I WILL SMOKE THE PRICE, period. To make it worthwhile, I'd say 95% of the time, I can do better and its a "win - win" situation..:D

There are some excellent comments in this thread.

Any regulator can go from colder water to warmer water --so the reg. you choose will be fine in tropical areas.

But not all regulators work efficiently when going to colder waters. If approximately 50 degree water is your baseline, you should consider whether you may wind up diving in water colder than that.

If that is the case, pay the extra money and buy an environmentally sealed regulator.

Some brands have been mentioned already and they are all excellent. Personally I have become a huge fan of Aqualung and Apeks. For your needs the Aqualung Legend or Legend Glacia would be perfect.

Jeff

I'll second the Aqualung glacia for cold water diving. That's what I used on my ice dives and it worked as advertised. Even after breathing it almost continuously on the surface it did not free flow. Although to be fair the air temp that day was only in the 20-25F range, far from the arctic temp.
Although I certainly agree with Jeff Toorish that glacia can be used in tropical waters as well, I would consider that an overkill...glacia is not the smallest/lightest regulator out there. But then again if regulator weight is not a consideration, this is a non-issue.
There are a number of lighter regulators on the market that would work quite well in both cold and tropical waters, Oceanic CDX-5, is only one of many that comes to mind...and I happen to own that one.
I also think that having an environmentally sealed reg, especially 'dry-sealed' (no goo or oil), is worth while regardless of the type of water you're going to be diving in. It keeps nasty things away from your regulator innards, which is definitely a good thing.

I dive mostly in Southern California so in a 7mm in 50 or so degree water but I'd like to be able to take this reg. to tropical waters with me. I don't go below 70' for now but would also like this reg to be able to go to around 150' at least. I want something that can grow with me and that doesn't take a lot of "know how."

Hi Lottifish!

For cold water diving, generaly, diaphragm regulator are more reliable in water colder than 40F because their sealed mechanism resist freezing. If you dive in artic condition at least half the time I would consider it. Scubapro MK17 / S600 / R395 seem perfect for it or Apeks DS4 / XTX50 / XTX40. A lot of technical diver use them. Trouble-free and reliable.

If not, piston regulator are considered extremely high performer. I dive with a Atomic M1 ( environmentally sealed for cold water diving). I dive mostly in 50F water also.
If I would dive a lot below 50F, I would get a diaphragm one which is more adequate for very cold water.

hope this helps.

jen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom