First regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

palmer loggins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm just getting into scuba, getting certified now. I want to start buying my equipment and a reg is first on my list. My LDS carries and services SP and atomic. So I've narrowed it down to either the SP mk25 evo s600 or the a700. And the atomic z3 and b2. I'm leaning more towards the atomics after a lot of research. I know they are both top of the line manufacturers and can't go wrong with either of them, but just want to know the differences and hear some reviews from real people that are using these products. Most of my diving with be travel diving to warm water locations. I do not plan on any cold water diving.

Welcome to the world of scuba diving. Either SP or Atomic brands are first rate. I personally would refrain from seeking the top of the line of either brand while just starting out, especially if you are planning on warm water diving, as an SP Mk25 evo s600 or a700 is basically overkill, too much regulator for your intended use. I recommend a more middle of the line regulator such as a Mk17 evo g260 which is more than sufficient for warm water recreational diving. Even if money is no object, there is rarely a need to purchase the highest performing equipment until your diving requires such.

I'm always voting for used.

I bought a brand new regulator kit upon receiving my CMAS 2* (AOW).

All the stuff i bought new full price... I dont have it anymore.

You will adjust and try new things and your kit will adapt with that.

It's easier to get rid of stuff when you pay but a fraction of the cost.

Also, a lot of the diving industry is marketing. The MK17 is a different beast than the mk25 and it actually performs better than the mk25 in very cold waters.

Its not because its the top of the line that its the best.

Ex:
I just bought an MK19 + S600 + bottom timer + console for 150$

If i dont like the mk19 ill just sell it. Probably more than what i paid.

I dive Atomics. All I do is travel to dive in warm locations also.

I doubt you could functionally tell the difference between a Z3 and a B2 with your eyes closed since the difference between them is basically the 5port 1st stage turret which you can buy as an option on the Z3 if you give up two LP ports. And the B2 is .1 lb. lighter. - they do that by making the 2nd stage valve body Titanium instead of Zirconium over Brass. Compare here: Atomic Aquatics Regulator Systems Comparison Chart

Every Atomic breathes the same - it's highlighted on their website. The difference in price relates to the more exotic materials used in the higher end models to get the weight down slightly and improve durability/corrosion resistance.

I own a B1 and a T2. If I was buying a new Atomic reg. I'd seriously consider the Z3. Put the almost $200 savings towards an octo. Atomic states their octos breathe as well as their primary 2nds.

Last edited:
I own a MK25/S600 with a S600 Alternate (several of each), an Atomic B2 with B2 Alternate and an Atomic Z2 with a Z3 Alternate. My atomics I bought used than bought new 2nd stages to use for Alternates and the SPs I have bought all new.

I agree with Diversteve, if you buy the Atomic buy the Z3...it is a great regulator and will last you years. These are my favorite "recreational" regulators; just a comfort to breath out of. The Scuba Pros MK25/S600s I use the most. I have them set up in both DIN and Yoke; for singles and doubles, for double back and double side mounts. They are a fantastic set up but can be a little pricey. I have set my Work of Breathing very soft and that works great for most of my diving endeavors.

I do not think you will go wrong with either and if for some reason you want to sell your regs both sell quickly on SB.

I am brand new scubapro mk25 Evo/s600, octopus, and pressure gauge for sell. Let me know if u are interested.

I don't see why you would buy the Z3 over the Z2 at all. You are paying extra just for the overpriced swivel at the LP hose. I'd either get the B2 (sealed first stage) or the Z2 sealed first stage but not the Z3. I have owned most of the Atomic models since the late 1990's and love them (always sealed first stage) and choose Atomic over any other brand (I used most brands out there as an instructor and dive center owner).

I also owned SP top of the line regulators since the mid 1990's. I have the MK25/s600 now also and it is great regulator too. SP is a very close second to Atomic and I'd recommend the higher middle to high end of their regulators. Remember, buy only once :)

It's your money, but you should understand that it is very unlikely you would be able to tell even a slight difference between any decent quality regulator that's in good adjustment. They all work well, and their only job is to lower the tank pressure to ambient on demand. There's a great deal of hype in regulator sales, because some shops, and some divers, like to think of regulators as 'life support' and imply that they are responsible for providing your life-sustaining air underwater. They don't really do that, they just make the air in the tank much easier to breathe. There are some minor performance differences, and those of us who enjoy working on regulators for a hobby have an interest in talking about these differences.

But almost any regulator that is in good condition will work perfectly fine for recreational diving, and your safety and enjoyment of diving won't be determined by your regulator.

It's your money, but you should understand that it is very unlikely you would be able to tell even a slight difference between any decent quality regulator that's in good adjustment. They all work well, and their only job is to lower the tank pressure to ambient on demand. There's a great deal of hype in regulator sales, because some shops, and some divers, like to think of regulators as 'life support' and imply that they are responsible for providing your life-sustaining air underwater. They don't really do that, they just make the air in the tank much easier to breathe. There are some minor performance differences, and those of us who enjoy working on regulators for a hobby have an interest in talking about these differences.

But almost any regulator that is in good condition will work perfectly fine for recreational diving, and your safety and enjoyment of diving won't be determined by your regulator.

Unless you are comparing them on a tank above water or in 10 feet u/w stationary doing nothing, what you said is nonsense.

And, yes the regulator is part, an important part of the life support system underwater.

What a gross over simplification BS what you said. So gross.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom