First sidemount dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did I read it right that you switched your regs in and out of the rubber necklace? Could you do this with one hand or two?

Did I read it right that you switched your regs in and out of the rubber necklace? Could you do this with one hand or two?

You did read it right. I did not try to restow in the necklace single handed, using both of my mitts it was done in about a second. If I was in a position that I could NOT use both hands I would simply clip it off to my upper D-ring for which ever side it is on. I do still have boltsnaps on each of the regs.

IMG_0194.JPG

@tbone1004 yea, I know. But it does not work so well on the Classics due to the nonexistent exhaust tees. I tried it exactly the way it was shown in that video.

When you do it "like the video" with a Hog Classic, it fits like this
IMG_0195.JPG

Then what happens is due to the fact the Classic has no exhaust tee to speak of the bungee sits like this.

IMG_0196.JPG

And in no time it makes it to it's final resting place and sits like this.

IMG_0197.JPG

Thats puts a bunch of force directly on the venturi adjustment. The way I have it currently puts VERY little force on probably the strongest part of the reg and can easily be popped off when needed and stays put when you stow it.

You did read it right. I did not try to restow in the necklace single handed, using both of my mitts it was done in about a second. If I was in a position that I could NOT use both hands I would simply clip it off to my upper D-ring for which ever side it is on. I do still have boltsnaps on each of the regs.
what are you gaining by swapping all the time why not leave one reg on bungee and the other on clip

what are you gaining by swapping all the time why not leave one reg on bungee and the other on clip

You don't really "swap all the time" but I noticed something that made me think of this when I was taking my Cavern/Intro course and my buddy for Intro was in sidemount. He had his non-used reg clipped off to his upper d-ring (his primary long hose) and his left bottle was looped around his neck and in a bungee. I went to him, not once but twice, with the OOA signal as I was told to by my instructor and both times he fumbled and worked around with that damn boltsnap trying to get the reg off. Now, that is not to say anyone else in the world would do that and maybe it was just him and on and on and on. But, I made my mind up at that time that when I went to sidemount I would have my regs available in the fastest way possible. It may take me a second, "literally" to stow the unused reg back in the necklace, but it takes less than that to deploy it. So for now, and until I think/find an even better way, thats how I do my regs.

@Doby45 one of the advantage of the bungee system that you have on there is that when it pops over the cap of the regulator it can slide down the hose. While it may still be clipped off to a d-ring, it will slide down enough to get the reg to the OOA diver and then you can unclip it at your leisure. Huge advantage to that system. I actually don't clip either of my Jetstreams off when I'm in sidemount, but without a shower head type first stage *which is pretty much only the Jetstream*, you can't easily do what I have with mine. Idea stolen actually from Dive Gear Express believe it or not on their Jetstream Sidemount Package page. Unfortunately it doesn't work on any other second stage that I can think of

You don't really "swap all the time" but I noticed something that made me think of this when I was taking my Cavern/Intro course and my buddy for Intro was in sidemount. He had his non-used reg clipped off to his upper d-ring (his primary long hose) and his left bottle was looped around his neck and in a bungee. I went to him, not once but twice, with the OOA signal as I was told to by my instructor and both times he fumbled and worked around with that damn boltsnap trying to get the reg off. Now, that is not to say anyone else in the world would do that and maybe it was just him and on and on and on. But, I made my mind up at that time that when I went to sidemount I would have my regs available in the fastest way possible. It may take me a second, "literally" to stow the unused reg back in the necklace, but it takes less than that to deploy it. So for now, and until I think/find an even better way, thats how I do my regs.
ok I get it-I have my reg clipped off with a larks foot so it will slide through with an easy tug, the rest of my hose tucked in tank band- I clip it on when I gear up and it doesn't come off til i get back, whenever I need the reg I just pull its and it slides up (or out)- when I swap to the other reg i just let it go and pull the hose loop at the bottom of the tank band to keep it tidy .having said that id like the clip to be a little higher

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom