First solo dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
During my stay at CoCo View I did my first solo dive. On Wednesday we (my brother, a guy we meet there and had been diving with, and I) had decided to do a night dive. Well after dinner was over both canceled. Since we had done two night dives in the same area and dove that area a half dozen times during the day (so I knew the way in and out and the hazards) I decided to go for it solo.

While I was gearing up I came up with my plan: Surface swim to the drop point, head to the night dive tag buoy (procedure there is for night dives you take a number tag that you signed out and attach it to a buoy and then remove the tag when you come back in. First one in attaches a strobe and the last one out brings it back), head to the bow of the Prince Albert Wreck, take the heading I needed to get to the aircraft "wreck", take some pretty pictures, and head back in the way I came.

My brother stayed out near the entry and exit point but I didn't tell him where exactly I was going to head. Probably should have just in case.

Was an interesting experience. When I got to the buoy and attached my tag and strobe I couldn't find the anchor line leading to the Albert. I knew the heading and just took the bearing. I noticed that my heart seemed to beat a bit faster and I felt kinda paranoid/on edge. Once I got to the Albert I decided to forgo the rest of the plan and just stick in that area. Finding a hermit crab with anemones on it helped seal that decision.

My own comfort level (still feeling a bit paranoid) combined with the annoying surge convinced me to call it short.

I really did enjoy not having to worry about another diver, which made taking the pictures a bit more enjoyable.

Looking back it I probably shouldn't have done a night dive as the first solo. But I knew the area and knew what my compass headings were. Though even with that it was kinda eerie swimming along following your compass just waiting for a point of reference to come into view.

I am on the fence about whether or not the camera was a good idea or not. I'm leaning towards it being a good idea. I'm one of those people who's mind likes to wander and worry. So the camera gave me something to focus on. However, it did add to task load.

This wasn't how I planned on starting solo diving but it was a nice one. I got rewarded with several nice photos that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise and an experience to boot :D

One thing I'm taking away is that I want some more dive experience before I attempt a solo here in Monterey.

Dive details:
Time: 26 mins (like I said, called it short)
Max depth: 50 ft
Avg depth: 28 ft

My SAC was 0.56 which was a bit higher then the previous dives that day (.53, .49, .45)

This last holiday weekend I did my first solo dive. I was right up the coast from you Mike.
I also called it short low vis and feeling a little uncomfortable. I would like to learn more about safety back up and drills.

Welcome to the 'dark side'. :cool2:

Sounds like a great dive. The more you solo dive, the more confidence you get.

One comment, if you didn't include a redundant gas source, you might want to think about that for next time. Just a suggestion...

One comment, if you didn't include a redundant gas source, you might want to think about that for next time. Just a suggestion...

That was actually one of the things I've been waiting on. However, that day just seemed right so I went for it. Not gonna do Monterey solo until I have a pony bottle though.

That was actually one of the things I've been waiting on. However, that day just seemed right so I went for it. Not gonna do Monterey solo until I have a pony bottle though.

So I did a solo dive in Monterey (Coral Street) where the depth is no greater than 25'. Conditions: very calm. Some folks on shore (my instructor, actually), though not suited up.

Would you take along redundant air if you weren't going any deeper than this? I mean, 25' is pretty shallow...

So I did a solo dive in Monterey (Coral Street) where the depth is no greater than 25'. Conditions: very calm. Some folks on shore (my instructor, actually), though not suited up.

Would you take along redundant air if you weren't going any deeper than this? I mean, 25' is pretty shallow...

Jim makes a great point (he usually does :D ).

You will always need to consider the environmental conditions and dive plan to determine whether redundancy is needed. If the water is cold enough to make freeflows possible, redundancy would be a good thing. If diving deep, absolutely. Can you surface safey at any time during the dive, or is there an "overhead" of some sort (meaning a virtual overhead, such as boat traffic, surface current, etc., that would make surfacing away from your start point hazardous).

High entanglement risk? Also a good idea to have redundant air I guess... it would buy you some more time to work yourself out of a bad entanglement.... But my personal opinion is that if there is a risk of entanglement in the environment you choose to dive in, then solo is just not a safe choice.

In the environment I dive in I do not carry redundant air on shallow dives (< 50'). This is clearly a personal choice, and is based on risk assesment and many years diving at the particular sites I solo at here in Hawaii (but there are very good arguments to be made for carrying redundant air even on the type dives I'm talking about).

Best wishes.

If you get tangled up in 25 feet of water and your tank o-ring blows that redundant air supply would sound pretty good wouldn't it?

Have to agree, wouldn't go into the bay alone without my 19cf pony.

Congrats, and welcome to The Brotherhood.

It's pretty aggressive to do a 50-foot night dive solo without a redundant air source. You might want to consider avoiding soloing until you get a redundant air source and are comfortable with its use in emergency situations. You can practice OOA and switching to your redudant source in 5 feet of water until you're comfortable with that and then head out into deeper water.

I considered a pony but just decided to make the switch to doubles.

Also you might consider more conservative dive profiles (e.g. 20-30 feet) until you get a some more experience soloing.

Back
Top Bottom