First stage issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So just to clarify. The D6 are good to dive and we should assume something else is going on? Some speculation on what happened would be appreciated.

Absolutely!

I'll leave it to @cerich for the final answer, but I'd guess a minor hiss during pressurization until an o-ring seated. Same thing happens with yoke connections all the time when they use those thin cross-section o-rings.
What seems clear is that this is NOT a HP seat issue. That's an area where Deep6 stands out.

Originally, I thought there was a leak/pop that self healed and afterward insufficient pressure to the second stage. The part that has me flummoxed is the IP was so low. Again, a high pressure leak from an hp port or DIN/yoke fitting could cause this; but it would be a leak so irritating I would have to shut the tank valve off immediately rather than attempting to breathe from the second stage or take an IP reading.

Just to clarify, it was a full HP blow until I shut it down not a seep or slight leak but it would often seat when repressurized until that didn’t work anymore. It often did a loud pop when first pressurized.

From what I gather there was a machining issue with some, the inconsistency was baffling, I returned them so the company could figure it out.

That doesn't strike me as a bad thing. To me, it means that the land that captures the O-ring in the yoke bolt was well-designed. It kept the O-ring from shifting for the most part, hence the persistent high-pressure air leak. Whatever machining problem he had with his OEM, they ironed it out and I'm sure he'll be watching them closely.
Hey, for a rising small company, this is just growing pains.
I'm no apologist for Deep6, but when have you ever had the CEO of a scuba company come to repeatedly answer your questions on Scubaboard? That's pretty cool!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom