First Stage Regs and different orientations (Questions??)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apivonka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, I've been looking around a bit and doing some reading..

I have seen to different types of first stage regulators and am trying to get my head round their benefits...

First one is show below (Image #1) with the first stage and yoke orientated in an "L" shape
and the Second one is what I would call in-line (Image #2)

Image #1
FirstStageParts-58b8ee735f9b58af5c9ff44b.jpg

Description of Image

Image #2

SCPM2E.jpg

Thoughts/Suggestions/Ideas?

The second one is designed to work on a stage.

Either will work with some playing around.

@HantsDiver that isn't true. The second one is designed to be cheap and easy to manufacture. It doesn't really have any advantages other than being small and is certainly not an ideal hose routing situation for stage bottles.

@apivonka there is no advantage to the second style of first stage other than they're cheap. You don't have to worry about stage or deco diving.

best flexibility in first stages comes from 5 port swivel turrets as found on a myriad of regulators. If you are hunting for a reg, go find one of those, they're worth it.
That said, I only actually own two of them compared to over a dozen others from Poseidon that don't have swivel turrets, but if given the choice, I will go for the swivel turrets any day of the week

@tbone1004 If apivonka does not have to worry about stage or deco diving, does s/he need to worry about swivel turrets?

Do you see some benefit to a 5 port swivel turret for single-tank back mount diving?

@apivonka The reason I would steer you away from the inline style reg is that it extends further out from the tank valve, so you would be more likely to bump the back of your head on it.

If you are only interested in normal recreational diving (i.e single tank back mount), then I don't see any benefit to you in a 5 port swivel turret.

OTOH, if you think side mount or technical diving might be in your future, then it would be worth investing in a 5 port swivel turret. And in that case, you should also make sure to buy a reg with a DIN connection, rather than yoke.

@stuartv I still prefer it for single tank diving. I obviously dive without them with no issue but that is a weird reason. It is not because I feel they are better.

There is nothing other than size that would dictate not using a 5 port turret in my opinion. If you're trying to shave every ounce then go smaller, but there is a reason that you are seeing companies like Deep6 only releasing turret first stages...

@stuartv I still prefer it for single tank diving. I obviously dive without them with no issue but that is a weird reason. It is not because I feel they are better.

There is nothing other than size that would dictate not using a 5 port turret in my opinion. If you're trying to shave every ounce then go smaller, but there is a reason that you are seeing companies like Deep6 only releasing turret first stages...

I agree that they are better - if you even MIGHT do any kind of diving beyond just single-tank back mount. But, for strictly single-tank back mount, I personally can't see any benefit to a swivel turret at all. And I suspect you can get a good non-swivel turret 1st stage for less money.

But, I am FAR from having seen it all. Do you see any benefit to a swivel turret when you're diving single-tank back mount? Or is it only a "futureproofing" benefit?

To the OP: That Mk2 is what a lot of people call an entry level regulator and a rental fleet regulator. Not a piece of crap by any means but as was said, cheaper to manufacture and easy to service - I think I have 2 or 3 of them and one that I keep in the truck - just in case. Simple and dependable.

If you're dead set on having new in box equipment with a moderate amount of bling - just maybe accept the fact that your initial outlay for a new reg is going to be double the cost of that ,Mk2.
Me, I'd get in touch with Greg Barlow and see what's he's got laying around for sale

@HantsDiver that isn't true. The second one is designed to be cheap and easy to manufacture. It doesn't really have any advantages other than being small and is certainly not an ideal hose routing situation for stage bottles.

Sorry - you are right. I prefer first stages like that on my stages for the reasons you mention (small/cheap) - as deco stages do not need to be high performance or balanced and they do the job nicely. But the first stages are not designed with that purpose in mind. So I was wrong.

I don't have 5th port first stages. And would like them to clean up my twinset. However I don't think there is a big enough advantage to pay to change mine. But I'm struggling to see the/any advantage for single tank diving. Can you explain this to me?

I agree that they are better - if you even MIGHT do any kind of diving beyond just single-tank back mount. But, for strictly single-tank back mount, I personally can't see any benefit to a swivel turret at all. And I suspect you can get a good non-swivel turret 1st stage for less money.

But, I am FAR from having seen it all. Do you see any benefit to a swivel turret when you're diving single-tank back mount? Or is it only a "futureproofing" benefit?

availability of the bottom port is what does it for me. Those are not typically available without the swivel being involved. If you are diving with a recreational OW style regulator with the 40" hose or a true long hose, having the bottom port for that regulator makes routing ideal. You can put bottom ports on the first stages from Apeks in the 100 and 200 series that are fixed port, but they're more expensive than the 50 series so no real justification to do it

@HantsDiver discussion on single tank diving above. For those using the BSAC type system, just put the octo on the bottom port for the same benefit.
I do actually use cheap pistons like that on my deco bottles but that is strictly a cost measure. Same with the rest of the dozen plus regs I own being non-swivel. I regularly buy doubles sets of Poseidon regulators for $200 or so and they don't come with swivel turrets. I'm not going to pay to upgrade them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom